Author Topic: New Wolford modification to BSSO  (Read 1265 times)

molestrip

• Private
New Wolford modification to BSSO
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:00:43 AM »
I noticed Dr Wolford published a paper earlier this year with another modification to the BSSO. You can sort of read it on a mobile page it seems, if someone wants to buy it I'd love to read the actual article. In it he claims that a new cut avoids notching on larger movements (like my MMA, ahem) and reduces risk of damage to IAN. I still have trouble visualizing what this notch is. Anyway, what do you all think of the paper? Significant? Should I bug my surgeon about it? I hear mixed opinions about the notch.

mike888miller

Re: New Wolford modification to BSSO
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 05:09:07 AM »
 i will look for it

is it rotation or advancement or both

molestrip

• Private
Re: New Wolford modification to BSSO
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »
I realize now that the technique for avoiding the notch was described in 1990, the inferior border osteotomy. Most surgeons still don't perform it, I think it's just not worth their trouble for a small number of patients but I'm still suspicious there may be other reasons. This new modification is interesting but not a game changer I think. It removes some hardware at the expense of bony overlap. The mandible splits more easily but I think most of the damage is done by stretching rather than splitting.