Author Topic: WOKE UP FROM SURGERY WITH DR. SINN  (Read 28756 times)

JayJaw

Re: WOKE UP FROM SURGERY WITH DR. SINN
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »
Congrats! I hope the good news keeps coming.

I keep going back and forth about jaw surgery. I know I need it but functionally I've gotten better with tongue posture, swallowing, etc. Still, my profile is terrible and both jaws are recessed, teeth flaw out, etc. it's especially tough since surgeons I have talked to recommend removing 2 bottom teeth to pull back and maximize BSSO... but I'd rather not.

And then there is the cost of the surgery.

Anyway, glad it seemed to have went well and keep healing! I hope the outcome is good for you and you don't need any other surgeries.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »
With Day 4 comes some perspective. You know what? If you're gonna have this surgery you should really push for maximum movements. I don't even know how people end up with the pig nose and monkey upper lip, since I have 0 physical symptoms in that direction. But then maybe the alar cinch was just very effective.

ALSO Sinn like Arnett does the V-Y plasty on both lips. I mean I don't know if it's permanent. But I have Tom Hardy lips right now and I don't mind at all if they stay. I think this is something Sinn is just good at so it's further undermined any chimp lip that may have occurred.

But you know what I gotta say? The older you get, the less this surgery is really gonna make a difference in your life. I mean sure if you're a fit and healthy 24 year old male or young girl, and you have this surgery and it pops everything into place with your face --well you got like 20-30 good years to enjoy it. But as soon as you're in your 30s time is ticking and I just don't think it makes as much of a difference --even physically, the skin is so much slacker that it doesn't really show up as powerfully.

So if you're gonna have this surgery go balls to the wall and go early.

Oh well, nothing to report. Healing is fine, still swollen. I could totally be back to work or home at this point as long as I took breaks. That's pretty crazy considering I was in surgery for almost 9 hours.

But I've definitely found that people who have really good surgeons usually recover really fast, except for Arnett and Gunson patients, they always recover really really poorly. I don't know why, they often lose teeth, feeling, have complications with their HA etc. etc. etc.

Oh well, Dr. Sinn wants to take the splint out just to test bite and I think he'll do that tomorrow.

I'm not trying to be arrogant but all the nervous breakdowns and trauma and mental problems and horror stories about recovery sound so distant to me now. I mean it's not a walk in the park ,but it's not that big a deal whatsoever. If my surgeon said I had to go back into surgery RIGHT NOW for another procedure I wouldn't be concerned. But I think I'm gonna take the time out to let it all heal and stuff and then figure out if I want a chinwing later on (which I probably will).

Man the area where Sinn did the submental lipectomy feels really really hard (and it's of course swollen so it's delivering the opposite effect right now). Oh well..... I probably won't update much anymore. It is what it is.

meepmeepmeep

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
i have seen almost nothing but glowing praise for arnett and gunson on this forum. i am surprised to see you saying all these negative things about their results in this thread... i have a consult with gunson next month and you have me nervous now...

PloskoPlus

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »
Well gunson does massive bsso advancment. IMO the real issue with them is the onlay ha grafts. It's a massive irritant. The local ha maestro who does onlay cheek grafts which look absolutely pitiful says you need to take 4 weeks off work.

meepmeepmeep

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
it seems like this forum is still very unsure about HA. i know dr sinn uses HA but in a very different way than A&G. have you heard many complaints from A&G patients about HA either on the cheek bones or at the back of the mandible? dr sinn says it is great and he gets great results with it.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
it seems like this forum is still very unsure about HA. i know dr sinn uses HA but in a very different way than A&G. have you heard many complaints from A&G patients about HA either on the cheek bones or at the back of the mandible? dr sinn says it is great and he gets great results with it.
Afaik Sinn only uses it sparingly and only when there are no other options. I don't think he uses it as extensively as gunson.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
i have seen almost nothing but glowing praise for arnett and gunson on this forum. i am surprised to see you saying all these negative things about their results in this thread... i have a consult with gunson next month and you have me nervous now...

well a lot of people consult with them because f**k they just have a great marketing team. I mean you gotta give it to them they offer something that no other max facs do --a really streamlined approach to getting your surgery with lots of boxes to check off and a cute little before and after photo and a bunch of other little stuff you get in a nice little box at the end of your consult. I mean they must literally make millions on their consults alone.

Also, they specialize in fixing botched operations (of which I'm sure around 75 percent of jaw surgeries are in some way botched).

And yeah, as Plosko said they specially in massive advancements because of their whole CCW philosophy.

Anyway, something that I'm being blown more and more away by is how little people actually pay attention to your physical appearance or any sort of issue you have that would make you look either significantly better or significantly worse. Ugly people are lucky insofar at least they get noticed. Sorry I'm really high on my painkillers .

JayJaw

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »
Lazlo, just curious... what is cost of Sinn? Did it covered at all by insurance (are you from US?) and I wonder if there is an insurance that generally covers jaw surgery at least out of network so you can just pay your maximum out of network deductible (say $5K) and be done.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
Lazlo, just curious... what is cost of Sinn? Did it covered at all by insurance (are you from US?) and I wonder if there is an insurance that generally covers jaw surgery at least out of network so you can just pay your maximum out of network deductible (say $5K) and be done.

sorry I don't answer questions about price.

JayJaw

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
No worries. I understand. What about insurance... when these surgeons say they are out if network, does that mean (if approved by insurance) it is covered in out of network deductible/out of pocket amount?

Since I really just dont think in my life I can swing 20k, 30k, 40k or whatever these usually are.

ditterbo

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
No worries. I understand. What about insurance... when these surgeons say they are out if network, does that mean (if approved by insurance) it is covered in out of network deductible/out of pocket amount?

Since I really just dont think in my life I can swing 20k, 30k, 40k or whatever these usually are.

My understanding is out of network doctors can balance bill any amount above your insurance's smaller "allowed amount", regardless of if you've reached your out of pocket maximum.  You can still get out of network benefits, if the insurance company approves the surgery, but they are typically peanuts in benefits compared to the 20k+ out of network doctors ask for.   

Plosko, Deschamps was pretty radical in a very different way ;)

Sounds like the bigger the jaw movements, the tougher the recovery?  That'd make sense as Lazlo's movement of 6mm seems small to me. Especially considering he had extractions ???
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:51:39 PM by ditterbo »

JayJaw

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 05:51:13 PM »
Ah... That sucks.

So an insurance company says they will pay $10K for it. You pay the out of pocket $5K and if the surgery is $30K you pay another $20K for balance doctor didn't get from insurance?

Man... seems more and more likely won't get it done. Maybe just SG or chin wing as a less expensive alternative.

Lazlo, I know you can't tell yet but you mention more work done on jaw with chin wing. But what about cheekbones? The one thing I always worry about is that if you bring maxilla forward then you get that concave 3/4 appearance because the cheekbones are now set back comparatively.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
for molestrip

[attachment deleted by admin]

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »
But what about cheekbones? The one thing I always worry about is that if you bring maxilla forward then you get that concave 3/4 appearance because the cheekbones are now set back comparatively.

Then you augment the cheekbones and the eyes become deep set and it still doesn't help the infraorbital rims. When you're older and the fat pads thin, the true contours of them show. There's just no winning here, this new Xilloc product holds promise but ultimately we're fighting against only changing part of the face. Ultimately, the less you need to change the face as a whole the better.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2016, 11:06:28 AM »
There are combined implants, they may be ok except they're still implants. One thing I don't like about them is they have a small cutout for the infraorbital nerve, if it ever shifts then that nerve could be at risk. The osteoinductive augmentations are nice in that they won't shift much or at least as much as surrounding bone. I messaged them on FB and they're still not available. Don't recall what the update was, nothing interesting enough to remember.