Author Topic: Chin implant or SG (pics)  (Read 1029 times)

slidinggenio

Chin implant or SG (pics)
« on: July 25, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »
https://gyazo.com/d8fd8d3b245d37d305ed9d1b53d7a337

Tossing up between the two but I'm leaning towards a SG right now.

I think I'm too young for a chin implant being that there will be a high chance it'll require revision and I'll have to get a large one. It's also more expensive than a SG lol.

Do all sliding genioplasties cause the face to be longer? Is it possible to achieve only horizontal projection? That is the main concern with a SG is that it causes my lower third to be too long and ruins the front of my face. My gonial angle is fairly steep so this is why it concerns me.

Also since maxillofacial surgeons perform the sliding genioplasty, how in tune and responsive are they to aesthetics. Can you talk to them as a plastic surgeon and convey your desires.

I can't afford jaw surgery.

Also, if anyone in Melbourne knows of good surgeons that perform SG, please let me know.

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:02:57 PM by slidinggenio »

kjohnt

Re: Chin implant or SG (pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 12:02:27 AM »
SG.  Peace of mind of no infection down the road, no plastic under your skin.  Different placement does different things - no vertical lengthening unless desired.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:47:42 AM »
Don't have any surgery in Australia. I did and I'm a f**king invalid 2 years later. My surgeon was "world class", "great humanitarian".

slidinggenio

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:32:47 AM »
Don't have any surgery in Australia. I did and I'm a f**king invalid 2 years later. My surgeon was "world class", "great humanitarian".

What do you mean invalid and what did you have?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »
go for the SG you can get a much more noticeable change with just SG , ofen you don't even need the BSSO or jaw surgery.

That said, what I'm learning is that the degree to which your SG will look good is dependent on the mass and shape of your native bone --and that's why the key question I'm learning now AFTER surgery how ironic is that if you get a bone graft the SG can be made much longer and better. Don't ever trust that your surgeon has covered everything down to any detail. Keep double checking everything right till the point you're under anasthesia.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »

slidinggenio

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:21 PM »
go for the SG you can get a much more noticeable change with just SG , ofen you don't even need the BSSO or jaw surgery.

That said, what I'm learning is that the degree to which your SG will look good is dependent on the mass and shape of your native bone --and that's why the key question I'm learning now AFTER surgery how ironic is that if you get a bone graft the SG can be made much longer and better. Don't ever trust that your surgeon has covered everything down to any detail. Keep double checking everything right till the point you're under anasthesia.

What do you mean by bone graft? Can you elaborate further. I want to go throw as many questions at the surgeon as possible.

My jaw is fairly wide and fairly wide chin that doesn't project enough and there seems to be very little chin bone. My concern is that with the lack of perceived chin bone may result in me not being able to get large enough advance. Although this is just a concern brought out of thin air. I'm trying to picture how the end result would be with my mandible structure. For example, if you take a look at this picture:
https://gyazo.com/efb99bfcce66d2e857bdf859530591a2
And imagine you are looking under my jaw, my shape would be similar to the one on the left. I'm wondering would this have any limitation on a sliding genioplasty?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:27:25 AM by slidinggenio »