Author Topic: My sliding(double) Genioplasty (06-27-16)  (Read 10722 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: My sliding(double) Genioplasty (06-27-16)
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2016, 05:26:39 AM »
You're so right, but a strong chin only looks good on a decent jaw.
Mine is slightly retruded, but has been camouflaged with extraction orthodontics when I was too young to care. I wis I knew then.
I've seen many exemples of people with too strong a chin on a weak jaw, and they didn't look that good.

But I think you can't go wrong by adding a little width, it looks better on most faces, that's why I thing need advancement is right by looking for a T osteotomy or something
Yes, a big feature all on its own looks grotesque. A big chin should come with a big jaw - mandible and ramus. It should also match the mouth. I've seen quite a few class iis with a big projected chin (nature's way of compensating for the poor profile) - looks bad.

needadvancement

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »
is it just that i have a preference for like exaggerated kirk douglas cheeks or do most doctors advance too little? I noticed this of Arnett and Gunson especially, huge advances of jaws but very conservative genioplasty even when it was safe to produce a strong chin.

Dudes, check it out every good looking person has a huge chin: Bridget Hall, Angie Harmon, Angelina Jolie, Jared Leto, jason Statham etc. etc. any of these people I bet look a bit exagerrated and freaky in person which is why they register so well on camera.

Yeah it's just a personal preference. I always wanted a strong 'exaggerated' chin, my proportions aren't of some kind of ideal beauty standard, but then many people who fall out of those measurements or whatever are still highly attractive so it's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the main motivation for anybody looking into surgery is simply to improve from where they started from.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:21:22 AM by needadvancement »

mike888miller

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2016, 04:34:49 AM »
just had a look at the foto

you look fanstic from the side. g, n, sn, pog, all where it should be.  you have a great ante face, maybe even 4/3. cant see if pointy, would need a frontal shot slightly from the top or bottom.

weather or not you would look even better with a slightly more advanced Go, in my opinion, depends on your facial with. if you have fall within the ideal proportoins (ft to ft / zy to zy 80 to 85pc) , i would think about it. just always remember all the important raitios are inter-related and -dependent.

slidinggenio

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »
Great results mate.

Chin shape looks better as well ( more round and robust).

The lengthening and decrease in chin width has brought out some aesthetic angles to your jaw.

7mm forward would have looked better, but you've gained a lot with only 4mm.

Congratulations!

slidinggenio

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2016, 03:24:24 AM »
I had the same problem with the genio, in that it made my chin look smaller and more pointy. I'd going to go down the chin wing route now and hopefully get the projection i need and possibly widen it at the same time, too. Your's looks really good imo, though. It's got the sort of shape i wish mine had.

Why couldn't the genio produce enough projection?

slidinggenio

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 12:10:44 AM »
I'm sure it could, it's just that mine didn't. It was pretty conservative - around 5mm i think. It improved my appearance somewhat but i wasn't happy with the projection or the shape. Interestingly enough, when i consulted with an orthodontist who works with one of the UK surgeons, after i'd already had the genio, i didn't tell her that i had it done and asked her about the possibility of lower jaw surgery and she said she thought i could do with just having a genio alone - so my chin still must have looked fairly recessed.

Why did you agree to only move it 5mm? Didn't you do morphs and measurements beforehand?

slidinggenio

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 05:00:35 AM »
I rushed into things a bit, and i was worried about getting something done that would make me look vastly different. I went with a good surgeon who is well respected, so i just trusted his judgement. He did a great job, in that i recovered really quickly, minimal swelling and no numbness, but i do wish i waited longer and planned things a bit better now. He took photographs and measurements then gave me a detailed explanation of how it would turn out, but no, i didn't do morphs.

I seen another well-respected UK surgeon about a year after, and he agreed that the surgery was good, but that i could do with maybe one more genio - albeit a very small one but with the cuts made at an angle to make the chin appear a little wider. I was initially going to go with that before discovering the chin wing from reading on this forum, and i feel that that would be the procedure best suited for me.

Mind my ignorance, but is there any complications from having another sliding genioplasty or does it increase the difficulty of the procedure?

needadvancement

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I still can't figure out why it looks so different in front of a mirror. If the front looks like the photos in real life I would be more stoked.

Mind my ignorance, but is there any complications from having another sliding genioplasty or does it increase the difficulty of the procedure?

I guess it depends on how the first sliding genio went. In my case I had no complications, the only thing that happened was my lower lip has slightly rolled in, so I only worry if a second SG would make the lower lip look worse especially since my upperlip is protrusive. Also removing the screws from the first one might complicate things, it's crucial that the new screws don't hit teeth roots and obviously nerves etc.