Author Topic: Am I at risk of developing sleep apnea?  (Read 1368 times)

slidinggenio

Am I at risk of developing sleep apnea?
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Low set hyoid
Possible recessed mandible
Forward head posture (I seem to be able to breathe smoother with a forward head posture).
Sleeping on my back is slightly harder to breathe (I have to really focus on it to notice).
My bites almost perfect just a slight overbite.

Also how does jaw surgery increase airway size and is there a test that can determine my airway size?

ditterbo

Re: Am I at risk of developing sleep apnea?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
Simultaneously wiggle and push your chin back to see if your jaw 'habitually' slides forward to give you your 'normal' bite.  If it does slide back a bit, see if it feels harder to breathe.  If it does, and with everything you said there, I bet you have mild sleep apnea.  You haven't complained about daytime drowsiness, so I doubt your past ~15-20 OSA if you were to do a sleep study. Totally guessing on this by putting together my experiences with testing for airway and OSA problems.

slidinggenio

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:07:58 PM »
Simultaneously wiggle and push your chin back to see if your jaw 'habitually' slides forward to give you your 'normal' bite.  If it does slide back a bit, see if it feels harder to breathe.  If it does, and with everything you said there, I bet you have mild sleep apnea.  You haven't complained about daytime drowsiness, so I doubt your past ~15-20 OSA if you were to do a sleep study. Totally guessing on this by putting together my experiences with testing for airway and OSA problems.

I don't think I'm following correctly. To pull my chin back it requires constant tension to pull back my mandible and it barely moves. I'm considering double jaw surgery because right now with perfect head posture my breathing is rough and I look like a worm/human hybrid. I have a gummy smile so I'm thinking my maxilla could be rotated and my mandible swung up with a bsso + genio. My gonial angle is fairly steep. Pic here; https://gyazo.com/d8fd8d3b245d37d305ed9d1b53d7a337

Also I don't have any symptoms of sleep apnea. No one has ever said that I snore.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »

yeah its weird i had all the suppossed morphological indicators for seep apnea, deviated septum, retruded chin, small airway, enlarged turbinites, open mouth breathing at night and guess what ? f**kING 98 percent saturation of oxygen!!! THe docs were like are you a marathon runner? I think the whole sleep apnea thing is bulls**t. Dr. Sinn actually said there are so many studies showing even airway diameter had no real effect on whetehr people had sleep apnea or not.

I mean you can do a few really huge movements like a large forward movement of your maxilla and jaw with huge CCW and kil the turbinates and do rhinio but it won't be for aesthetics. You'll look a lot more like newman in Seinfeld cause you'll have a very large volume face and head.

slidinggenio

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
yeah its weird i had all the suppossed morphological indicators for seep apnea, deviated septum, retruded chin, small airway, enlarged turbinites, open mouth breathing at night and guess what ? f**kING 98 percent saturation of oxygen!!! THe docs were like are you a marathon runner? I think the whole sleep apnea thing is bulls**t. Dr. Sinn actually said there are so many studies showing even airway diameter had no real effect on whetehr people had sleep apnea or not.

I mean you can do a few really huge movements like a large forward movement of your maxilla and jaw with huge CCW and kil the turbinates and do rhinio but it won't be for aesthetics. You'll look a lot more like newman in Seinfeld cause you'll have a very large volume face and head.

Good to hear.