Author Topic: Got my braces off today and feel kind of depressed  (Read 987 times)

zygotic

Got my braces off today and feel kind of depressed
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
I had my braces removed today following 2.5 years of treatment. I wore an expansion appliance followed by fixed braces to improve bite (TMJ problems, condylar resorption) and aesthetics (narrow palette). I've never been diagnosed but I suspect I have mild hemifacial microsomia.

I'm no longer getting TMJ clicking but since they were removed I'm not making contact on my back teeth - most likely a posterior open bite. It feels unstable when only the front teeth are connecting. I have a steep occlusal plane so despite the premolars showing more laterally, they are not making contact and are so out of sight compared to the front six. They don't show unless I exaggerate a smile.

Also over the past few months I've noticed nasolabial folds which are obvious even when looking in the reflection of windows. I wore a splint for several months and think it stretched my skin.

When I wore my splint my stuffy nose got better while sleeping, and that's when I made the connection with orthognathic surgery. I thought I was cured but the splint was just a crutch and I soon relapsed afterwards.

My facial assymmetry is no different to when I started which I believe because of condylar resorption and that I've had wisdom teeth removed from only one side of my mouth.

I kind of regret not knowing about orthognathic surgery before I started. At the time non-surgical expansion felt like I was pushing the boundaries.

Obviously the treatment has cost me a lot of time and money. If I could start again I would have had a consultation with someone like Larry Wolford, who seems to cover a lot of the issues I have.

I don't know if it is feasible to investigate maxfacs if what I have had is simply camoflage treatment. How does 'regular' orthodontics differ to the pre-treatment that one has before bimax surgery?