Author Topic: Bimax instead of genioplasty. Worth it?  (Read 3020 times)

Dempah

Bimax instead of genioplasty. Worth it?
« on: April 28, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
Hello! :)

I've been reading on this forum for quite some time now and I really appreciate it!

I've recently had consultations with two different maxillofacial surgeons and my main concern before I had these consultations was my weak chin so I presumed that a genioplasty would do fine. But they both recommended a bimax surgery due to my assymetric jaw.

One of them wrote this something like this, "twisted occlusal plane with a gummy smile on the left, deep bite and mild overbite, one full width of premolar
disto-occlusion on the left, a midline deviation in the dentition and in the chin"

The first one opted for a CCW and the other one forwarding the mandible approximately 6-7 mm. 

I didn't know that the mild pain in one of my joints, the clicking and popping was due to this. But the pain I have is mild, and I don't think any insurance wi'll cover this.

So my main reflections are:
The pain I have when I open my mouth is mild and manageable, is it worth doing a bimax in case it gets worse?

What happens if I go with a genioplasty only? Will it aggravate the assymetry and deepen my already deep labiomental fold?
Picture of my profile: http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8580/netprof.jpg

I've also made a gif between a morphed front picture (morphed jaw, lips and a slighty crooked nose)  and an untouched picture just to show the assymetry (5 seconds between the pictures).
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/9739/49904290.gif

Is the morphed picture even slightly possible to achieve?

Any opinions?

Thanks for taking your time! :)

Dempah

Re: Bimax instead of genioplasty. Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
Oh, thought It would be obvius that the morphed picture is the one with less assymetry in  jaw and lip. Maybe it's not so recognizable? The morphed picture also have a shorter lower third...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:40:23 PM by Dempah »

fedfan

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »
Oh, thought It would be obvius that the morphed picture is the one with less assymetry in  jaw and lip. Maybe it's not so recognizable? The morphed picture also have a shorter lower third...

I believe if you get bimax your lower third will increase in length rather than reduce.

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »
yea rotation is more likely to widen and round out the lower third. have u shared the morph with doctors?

Dempah

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
yea rotation is more likely to widen and round out the lower third. have u shared the morph with doctors?

Alright. I haven't showed the doctors anything. Only did the morphing to get a better idea of the problem and whether a bimax is worth doing considering the risks.

Here's another picture showing my very weak profile when I have my jaws fully at rest. (My bite isn't fully closed, teeth not touching).
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/8158/net2prof.jpg

Is it possible to balance the profile with a genioplasty or will the protruded lower lip just make the labiomental fold look very deep?