Author Topic: Risk of permanent nerve damage from genioplasty alone as a percentage  (Read 8941 times)

trojans101

Re: Risk of permanent nerve damage from genioplasty alone as a percentage
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »
^^ how the hell do you weigh the pros and cons of surgery? blah

Rico

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 01:42:53 PM »
in the simple way. If you can avoid , then just avoid
if you really need a surgery, you must keep in mind, that something bad may happen. It's really hard decision. It's your life.
Surgery is an ENEMY FOR ALL OF YOU.

I put a link just a while ago on the previous post. Take a look what can happen. There is also another link -> go there
I'm telling you, such complications was not even in the list of possible problems. The percentage was 0 and I got it.

trojans101

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
in the simple way. If you can avoid , then just avoid
if you really need a surgery, you must keep in mind, that something bad may happen. It's really hard decision. It's your life.
Surgery is an ENEMY FOR ALL OF YOU.

I put a link just a while ago on the previous post. Take a look what can happen. There is also another link -> go there
I'm telling you, such complications was not even in the list of possible problems. The percentage was 0 and I got it.

Thanks, I do feel an SG is much simpler and straightforward that your surgery. Literally a cut and slide forward. Maybe some numbness in the lips and chin. But not much can be affected.

Rico

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 02:06:38 PM »
yep... but the point was, what if a permanent numbness get a patient who cannot tolerate it (to the point of agony) and he does not know yet.
Make a test :)

and that's true, my case is unique. The surgeon overlooked my original type of asymmetry, but I took his attention to this fact before surgery.
Simple thing, and anyway it was fu.. up :)  so simple thing

trojans101

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 02:08:02 PM »
yep... but the point was, what if a permanent numbness get a patient who cannot tolerate it (to the point of agony) and he does not know yet.
Make a test :)

thanks, agreed. ive been thinking about my surgery for over 8 years man. theres a reason for that  ;) having a hard time deciding.

needadvancement

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 03:42:10 PM »
thanks, agreed. ive been thinking about my surgery for over 8 years man. theres a reason for that  ;) having a hard time deciding.

I went through the same thing and finally pulled the trigger a couple of months ago. My SG had zero complications but left things to be desired. So my advice would be that if you do get problems from the surgery, it should atleast be a success aesthetically.

trojans101

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 05:40:12 PM »
I went through the same thing and finally pulled the trigger a couple of months ago. My SG had zero complications but left things to be desired. So my advice would be that if you do get problems from the surgery, it should atleast be a success aesthetically.

I agree. What was left to be desired btw? Not satisfied? Not sure if you responded to my thread, what're your thoughts?

My biggest concern is my smile being altered. Could probably live with some numbness.

needadvancement

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
I agree. What was left to be desired btw? Not satisfied? Not sure if you responded to my thread, what're your thoughts?

My biggest concern is my smile being altered. Could probably live with some numbness.

Not enough advancement and seemingly some asymetry on my part. I plan on getting a second one done.

Smile being affected seems very rare, I haven't seen an example of this yet have you?

trojans101

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 06:38:50 PM »
Not enough advancement and seemingly some asymetry on my part. I plan on getting a second one done.

Smile being affected seems very rare, I haven't seen an example of this yet have you?

Nope, my surgeons says it won't change anything. My smile is the one feature I like, hence why.

Btw, how do you feel a few months out? Are you able to run or workout? Swelling still noticeable? Are you willing to PM a picture? I'm wondering, based off my photos if ill get a beneficial noticeable effect with an SG. Sometimes I see before and after of an SG and its not very noticeable. Mine will be 7mm.

needadvancement

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
Nope, my surgeons says it won't change anything. My smile is the one feature I like, hence why.

Btw, how do you feel a few months out? Are you able to run or workout? Swelling still noticeable? Are you willing to PM a picture? I'm wondering, based off my photos if ill get a beneficial noticeable effect with an SG. Sometimes I see before and after of an SG and its not very noticeable. Mine will be 7mm.

Here's my thread  http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=5475.msg47117#msg47117

I felt like the notches closed at like 4-6 weeks which is when I started working out again but I could have started earlier. The swelling that was left the last few months was under the chin, so getting more definition there was a great plus.

ditterbo

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
Yikes, what made you figure those risks out? I can't find much at all about it on the internet, and so far the surgeons I emailed said that any persisting alteration of sensation is almost unheard of.

It really depends on the doctors skill.  I've hit up probably over 20 doctors post botched chin implant surgery, some max facs (local basic ones mostly).  How much they hype up the problems with SG vary by surgeon.  On a few other forums I've read a fair share of cases where people had such complications with SG's, but you know how forums tend to accumulate with people who were unlucky in their outcomes. 

I wish I could sue my first doc for this surgery, but I think he would have had to do more than motor nerve damage for me to have any chance (US). 

Jilkster

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 10:21:17 AM »
It really depends on the doctors skill.  I've hit up probably over 20 doctors post botched chin implant surgery, some max facs (local basic ones mostly).  How much they hype up the problems with SG vary by surgeon.  On a few other forums I've read a fair share of cases where people had such complications with SG's, but you know how forums tend to accumulate with people who were unlucky in their outcomes. 

I wish I could sue my first doc for this surgery, but I think he would have had to do more than motor nerve damage for me to have any chance (US).

What surgeon did your chin implant? Was it a reputable surgeon?

Do you have any current views on the safety of implant vs sliding genio, assuming you can be somewhat unbiased despite your own bad experience?

ditterbo

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
What surgeon did your chin implant? Was it a reputable surgeon?

Do you have any current views on the safety of implant vs sliding genio, assuming you can be somewhat unbiased despite your own bad experience?

People are afraid of the "low grade" and "permanent" inflammation you supposedly get from your face forever trying to encapsulate the implant(s).  I guess if your immune system gets really weak when you get really old, maybe an old implant can get infected and need to be taken out (and probably will leave you looking a lot worse at that age).  They may also not 'age well' with your face, but I don't think that's very common when it comes to chin implants (imo).  I can PM you the doc... but yes he is a 'reputable' surgeon (just not a big name doc).

If you are freaked by complications of an SG, then I would go with a silicone chin implant for its reversibility (depending on size and patient age) and typically zero permanent complications.  Just don't goof and go with a doctor that doesn't do chin implant surgeries in his sleep. Same with SG if you're willing to gamble a bit more. It's a pretty safe bet that, all things equal, an SG will put you at more risk for complications, just by the nature of that surgery, vs an implant.  BUT don't get a chin implant through the mouth, you're much better off with an SG if you *must* not have a scar under your chin. If you already have a mild to moderate labiomental fold though and need say 6mm+ advancement, then a chin implant will look stupid and shouldn't really be considered at that point.  When I get around to posting my mug, surgery proposals from Gunson etc, you'll see what a 12mm chin implant looks like.  ;)

If I could do it all over again, all things considered, an SG with an elite doctor would have been the best all around option.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:34:58 PM by ditterbo »