Author Topic: Short face syndrome, treatment plan?  (Read 2323 times)

Aurelius

Short face syndrome, treatment plan?
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:37:59 PM »
Hi guys,

since I didnt find an introduction thread I´ll just introduce myself here. I´m a 21 yo guy from central europe and just started my third semester. I learned about chin wing a few months ago, after I got into research about my weird face. This eventually led me to this site.

I have a major shortface, with the nose/middle third being shorter vertically than the other thirds. I too have a small chin and long philtrum/thin upper lip, snub nose and wide zygos (>90th percentile). My "jaw angles" are much narrower.

Well it basically looks as if both my jaws pretty much didnt grow during puberty. My facial height is >5th percentile (!!)

I dont have huge bite issues but it feels like my upper teeth row is a little bit too far up/lower teeth row a bit too far down. That means that I bite mostly with the "frontal part" of the teeth row (not the front teeth). This already resulted in deterioration - or this whole s**t all just grew really weird. It also means that if I bite down, half of my lower front teeth are hidden behind the upper front teeth. Mandibular plane is very flat too.

Well I guess I dont have to say that I´m rather clueless when it comes to maxillofacial surgery. With what limited knowledge I have, I suspect that some kind of double jaw + chin wing/jaw implant + rhinoplasty + orbital rim implants would produce the best aesthetic results(I´m aware double jaw is very invasive, just considering all my options for now).

Opinions and advice about my situation are very welcome :)

buzzhead

Re: Short face syndrome, treatment plan?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »
Hi guys,

since I didnt find an introduction thread I´ll just introduce myself here. I´m a 21 yo guy from central europe and just started my third semester. I learned about chin wing a few months ago, after I got into research about my weird face. This eventually led me to this site.

I have a major shortface, with the nose/middle third being shorter vertically than the other thirds. I too have a small chin and long philtrum/thin upper lip, snub nose and wide zygos (>90th percentile). My "jaw angles" are much narrower.

Well it basically looks as if both my jaws pretty much didnt grow during puberty. My facial height is >5th percentile (!!)

I dont have huge bite issues but it feels like my upper teeth row is a little bit too far up/lower teeth row a bit too far down. That means that I bite mostly with the "frontal part" of the teeth row (not the front teeth). This already resulted in deterioration - or this whole s**t all just grew really weird. It also means that if I bite down, half of my lower front teeth are hidden behind the upper front teeth. Mandibular plane is very flat too.

Well I guess I dont have to say that I´m rather clueless when it comes to maxillofacial surgery. With what limited knowledge I have, I suspect that some kind of double jaw + chin wing/jaw implant + rhinoplasty + orbital rim implants would produce the best aesthetic results(I´m aware double jaw is very invasive, just considering all my options for now).

Opinions and advice about my situation are very welcome :)

I also have or had short face syndrome.  I had lower and upper surgery over a year ago.  Maxilla brought forward 9 mm and downgrafted 5 mm with cadaver bone and titanium plates.  Lower jaw rotated clockwise and brought forward 14 mm.  Everything great so far.  So glad I had it done.  I would definitely make the choice again.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 06:32:12 PM »
I also have or had short face syndrome.  I had lower and upper surgery over a year ago.  Maxilla brought forward 9 mm and downgrafted 5 mm with cadaver bone and titanium plates.  Lower jaw rotated clockwise and brought forward 14 mm.  Everything great so far.  So glad I had it done.  I would definitely make the choice again.
Those are massive maxilla movements. Have you had any relapse? Any numbness in the upper lip/ cheeks?

Aurelius

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 11:24:32 AM »

Thats indeed massive advancements. Was it due to medical neccessity or for aesthetics mainly?
Was your nose short before or did you have a crooked nose/short philtrum?
It would be very interesting too to know how well you recovered, as PloskoPlus asked before.

UnderMunch

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »

Who was your doctor and did you have any problems with your bite before surgery?