Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty Relapse Stories?  (Read 2441 times)

improvedchin

Sliding Genioplasty Relapse Stories?
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
Hi, anyone have any stories either about themselves or of other people who have experienced sliding genioplasty relapse? meaning, where the chin was advanced horizontally (brought forward) but goes back to its original recessed position?

Also, has anyone had or know of anyone who has experienced nonunion of any kind?

ditterbo

Re: Sliding Genioplasty Relapse Stories?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »
Dr. Deschamps Braly told me SG's in the range of like 10-14mm (approximating) can sometimes relapse a bit.  I think 99.5% of docs wouldn't do an SG of anything close to that magntitude though.  I haven't heard of relapse for the run of the mill (6-8mm) SG.

improvedchin

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »
Dr. Deschamps Braly told me SG's in the range of like 10-14mm (approximating) can sometimes relapse a bit.  I think 99.5% of docs wouldn't do an SG of anything close to that magntitude though.  I haven't heard of relapse for the run of the mill (6-8mm) SG.

So it sounds like the greater the increase the higher likelihood of relapse right? Do you know if the relapse takes place during the initial recovery or after everything has healed and the bone has consolidated?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »
So it sounds like the greater the increase the higher likelihood of relapse right? Do you know if the relapse takes place during the initial recovery or after everything has healed and the bone has consolidated?
\

yeah i still don't understand how there's a f**king relapse? I mean things are fixed with titanium plates and s**t? It's not like it's an elastic.

And also how do you deterimine if relapse has occured????

improvedchin

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
Well is the plate even needed after the bone consolidates? Because isn't the healed bone what holds the chin in its new position?

I guess if there was significant relapse, it would be noticeable by looking at it.

ditterbo and Lazlo, did you remove your genioplasty plate / screws? If not, are you planning on it? And if so, how long did you wait after surgery to have them removed?

ditterbo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
The explanation I got was the amount of pressure against the chin bone when moving it to such extremes makes it so the plates will bend back a few mm with the bone.  It'd be visible in x-rays.

I didn't get an SG, I have a 12mm chin implant (don't do this unless you go custom). 

improvedchin

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »
But I would imagine something like that would only take place early on (before the bone consolidates) right?  if the bone is fully consolidated the plate wouldn't even be needed right?

needadvancement

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »
The explanation I got was the amount of pressure against the chin bone when moving it to such extremes makes it so the plates will bend back a few mm with the bone.  It'd be visible in x-rays.

I didn't get an SG, I have a 12mm chin implant (don't do this unless you go custom).

How could that happen if the plates are the correct size for the chosen advancement though? It's not like surgeons stretch the plates out and then screw them in. They've got different plates that cover every MM size.