Author Topic: What happens if you blow your nose after upper jaw surgery?  (Read 1296 times)

matilda99

What happens if you blow your nose after upper jaw surgery?
« on: November 20, 2016, 07:51:15 PM »
I just had double jaw surgery about 12 days ago.
I was told not to blow my nose during the healing process.
Well, I haven't exactly blown my nose but I have exhaled through my nose with slight force. Sort of like when when you take a deep breath and exhale through your mouth, except I did it through my nose.....several times since surgery.  I don't feel any pain from doing so but I do feel slight pressure in my sinuses.

I've read "don't blow your nose after upper jaw surgery" several places over the internet but mybquestion is why?
Also, how can you tell if you've messed something up?
I don't mean to go against the doctors wishes but I forgot in the cases when I did exhale through my nose.

Also, one cheek/sinuse area seems more swollen than the other.

Vic

Re: What happens if you blow your nose after upper jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
I just had double jaw surgery about 12 days ago.
I was told not to blow my nose during the healing process.
Well, I haven't exactly blown my nose but I have exhaled through my nose with slight force. Sort of like when when you take a deep breath and exhale through your mouth, except I did it through my nose.....several times since surgery.  I don't feel any pain from doing so but I do feel slight pressure in my sinuses.

I've read "don't blow your nose after upper jaw surgery" several places over the internet but mybquestion is why?
Also, how can you tell if you've messed something up?
I don't mean to go against the doctors wishes but I forgot in the cases when I did exhale through my nose.

Also, one cheek/sinuse area seems more swollen than the other.

En-haling through your nose to suck up the mucus to spit out is fine. If you blow your nose though, you can tear the stitchings which will not only make you bleed but can make you at risk to infection.
Both sides of your cheeks will heal and different times, so one may be more swollen than the other and will take longer to come down