Author Topic: Whats really wrong with medpor implants?  (Read 1847 times)

Lefortitude

Whats really wrong with medpor implants?
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
Ive read up countless studies that show that theyre effective at augmenting facial skelaton without osteometrys. 

So whats really wrong with getting medpor implants?

ppsk

Re: Whats really wrong with medpor implants?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Ive read up countless studies that show that theyre effective at augmenting facial skelaton without osteometrys. 

So whats really wrong with getting medpor implants?

"effective" in the context of a scientific study is not necessarily what you want as a real world result.

they are effective in the sense that they will sit where they are placed and provide size "augmentation" to the bone they are placed on. Whether that actually gives you the aesthetic result you are looking for is another issue entirely.

secondly medpor, being porous, is far more likely to get infected than silicone. If it does get infected, its a nightmare to remove because of the tissue ingrowth, whereas silicone is easily removed in the rare event that it does get infected.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
"effective" in the context of a scientific study is not necessarily what you want as a real world result.

they are effective in the sense that they will sit where they are placed and provide size "augmentation" to the bone they are placed on. Whether that actually gives you the aesthetic result you are looking for is another issue entirely.

secondly medpor, being porous, is far more likely to get infected than silicone. If it does get infected, its a nightmare to remove because of the tissue ingrowth, whereas silicone is easily removed in the rare event that it does get infected.

and personally currently experiencing an infection in my titanium implant let me tell you that infections aren't fun to deal with. Lucky taking out a titanium implant is easy given the fact my osteotomy is probably fully healed now.

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 06:07:40 PM »
There are doctors who find it relatively easy to remove medpor implants, or so they say. First I'm hearing of medpor implants causing more infections, I actually thought it to be less likely to get infected than silicone.  It's not treated so much as a foreign body the way silicone is. 

There IS a notably higher risk of damage to the chin when removing a medpor implant as opposed to silicone. Many doctors do not want to remove medpor implants for that reason, so you'll have a hard time reversing the surgery for whatever reason. Medpor implants WILL eat away at the bone beneath it, just like silicone does.  Also, some patients don't like how medpor feels in their face vs silicone.  Best approach is a custom silicone chin implant or custom wrap around, imo.

Vic

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 06:35:50 AM »
All implants after time wear the bone down and if the bones badly worn, there's no surgeon that will be able to operate on you afterwards if you want further surgery