Author Topic: Strenuous exercise  (Read 788 times)

improvedchin

Strenuous exercise
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »
Does anyone here participate in strenuous exercise after jaw surgery and/or sliding genioplasty? For example: HEAVY weight lifting, Handstand pushups, bench press?

I had a sliding genioplasty revision 2 years ago. I was advanced forward 7-8mm. I was told I was advanced as far out as possible.

When I perform these exercises I noticed my face shakes, and my neck muscles all tense up. Could this promote relapse of my chin or push it back if I were to have my plate and screws taken out?

Looking forward to gathering some insight.

David_D

• Private
Re: Strenuous exercise
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:21:43 AM »
I recommend asking your surgeon about this.  My own understanding - and I'm not a physician - is that the bone fully heals by the one year mark.  I don't think at that point that the plates and screws really serve a functional purpose.  That said, a surgeon or physician might have a different viewpoint on that matter.

improvedchin

Re: Strenuous exercise
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »
Thanks for the response! Yeah, that's the understanding I had. Just got a bit worried since some of these exercises put a lot of strain on the neck area (which the chin is sort of near). Do you workout with heavy weights, bench press and what not by any chance? Does anyone on this forum? Thanks!