Author Topic: MMA (sleep apnea) advice and choosing an orthodontist/oral surgeon in Ontario  (Read 1041 times)

sleeplover69

Anyone have any advice or suggestions in choosing an orthodontist and oral surgeon for MMA for sleep apnea? I'm in Mississauga, ON, and I'm unfortunately limited to the GTA/Toronto area in Ontario (paging Lazlo), but I very much look forward to any general advice.

I'm in the process of getting braces in preparation for double jaw surgery for sleep apnea. I'm retrognathic with a pretty small mandible/steep mandibular angle, class II bite, and an airway on the small side. Also have had my bicuspids removed when I was young as they were coming in over the central incisors and the ortho couldn't save them, I guess. AHI is something like 15-18.

For ortho, I've already got a consult and x-rays with Dr. Eugene Kholov, whose name I got from a receptionist at Crescent Oral as he was one of the top referrals in the area. He has plenty of positive online reviews. Nice guy, but sadly he hasn't much experience with sleep apnea patients. Lazlo mentioned in a thread that he wished he had found out about Dr. Gordon M. Organ in Mississauga, who also seems to have been practicing for even longer and has a pretty impressive pedigree. So now I think I should better book a consult with Dr. Organ ASAP and may end up with him instead.

For oral surgeons, I've scheduled first consults with Dr. Tocchio next week (whom I'm leaning towards right now due to the most positive mentions) and Dr. Caminiti and Dr. Stephen KC Ho in March 2017. However, although Dr. Tocchio and Dr. Caminiti do jaw surgeries on the regular and have for many years, Lazlo mentioned that they don't do CCW, which I think would be optimal for my case and which I think is weird if true. In contrast, he mentioned that Dr. Stephen Ho was a strong advocate of CCW and his specialty is actually in sleep apnea, but I don't think he does as many jaw surgeries as the former two. Also he's got poor reviews overall on ratemd from a couple years back, if they're to be trusted. I've found Dr. Ho's name mentioned a few times, but never in terms of jaw surgery experiences.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for choosing or experiences with orthodontists and oral surgeons for double jaw surgery, especially for sleep apnea, in the GTA/Toronto area? Or any advice regarding my situation or in general in assessing different orthodontists and oral surgeons is appreciated.

Lastly, what can you say could be done in my case for sleep apnea in terms of advancement and aesthetics? Also, my nose wasn't at rest in the front pic as I unwittingly flared out my nose. It's actually quite a bit narrower and worse looking.

Thanks so much in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:51:24 PM by sleeplover69 »