Author Topic: What is the current state of Xilloc-CT Bone?  (Read 7074 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: What is the current state of Xilloc-CT Bone?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
If anything Xilloc should partner with this company whose 3D printed bone has at the very least the virtue of being like unbreakable which would be awesome. You could get hit in the face with a bat and your bone would still hold shape.

This is the frontier of meta-human engineering my friends.

But as the site says, human testing is 5 years away.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/28/13094642/hyperelastic-bone-graft-substance-unveiled

I'm gonna stick with chin wings and ZSO's and modified lefort 3 's till then.

Lestat

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
Those are really bad news Lazlo! :(

I knew that Xilloc has done a big investment that has enabled them to do all manufacturing in-house. They have already installed their 3D printers.
So the problem were not the printers, it is the product - the calciumphosphate for real bone-replacing implants.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 09:22:16 AM »
Those are really bad news Lazlo! :(

I knew that Xilloc has done a big investment that has enabled them to do all manufacturing in-house. They have already installed their 3D printers.
So the problem were not the printers, it is the product - the calciumphosphate for real bone-replacing implants.

Yes, here's my problem with these implants. As you guys know I broke my cheekbone in an assault and I asked Dr. Sinn what should be done. He said "nothing" the fracture will heal on itself and the bone is not too displaced.

Let's say I had a cheekbone implant of this type. It would not heal on its own (neither would lypholized cartiledge) as REAL BONE would. So it's basically just another sort of implant and one that actually may have the exact if not MORE problems as medpor, peek etc.. etc.

Now if they have something truly new to reveal, i.e. that they can seed these with something that will cause real bone to grow into them and colonize the entire implant, then we have something truly interesting.

But that would be almost revolutionary and they're not even close to that yet.

I think in order to stay "natty" I'm gonna go with Dr. Zarrinabal for some Chin wing and ZSO action and then follow up with Dr. Sinn for a lefort 3

Lestat

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »
As you guys know, the problem with your own bone is that if you use it as an onlay, f.e. bone from the iliac crest or from the rip, it will resorb. With children it is different. The onlays will be permanent. Unfortunately that is not the case with adults. For adults only calvarial bone would be permanent.

We would already have the perfect implant if onlays of our own bone would be permanent!

Imo Bio Oss and HA are the two best bone substitute materials for the moment, because blood vessels, arteries and new bone grow through the implant. They do not erode the underlying bone and are permanent.

I opt for Bio Oss and HA in order to stay "natty". :P

MrFox

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
Everything is relevant, I know that an osteotomy could never give me the results that I wish for.

MrFox

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 02:44:51 PM »
Surely after 6 months the bones are well and truly fused?

Technically fused yes but they are fused after several weeks, an osteotomy is not stable at six weeks post op.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
I'm sure Z. said 6 months to me, I was super amazed too, that's how I remember. Someone should ask Z. again if he told you two months.

What Triaca did say to me however is that the fused bone is not always as strong as normal bone and that you can also see that in CAT scans: sometimes the fused bone looks much lighter than normal bone and is more difficult to see in the scan versus your normal bone. Even 6-8 months after surgery.

Makes me wonder if fused bone about 1,5+ years after surgery would be as strong as your normal bone?

f**k this is all so bizarre. Doc here who is a max fac said bone from osteotomy is almost totally fused at 4-6 weeks and that by 3 months you have total bone remodelling.

I've also heard that bone once broken and rehealed is stronger than your normal bone. Like if you break your arm it heals back stronger. Why would that not be the same for an osteotomy done on your face? Unless facial bones are different somehow?

MrFox

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
f**k this is all so bizarre. Doc here who is a max fac said bone from osteotomy is almost totally fused at 4-6 weeks and that by 3 months you have total bone remodelling.

This is something that a lot of amateur jaw surgeons seem to think, (not saying the surgeon you asked was bad, it's just an observation) I have been told by arguably some of the best that this is incorrect.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
This is something that a lot of amateur jaw surgeons seem to think, (not saying the surgeon you asked was bad, it's just an observation) I have been told by arguably some of the best that this is incorrect.
Doctors know far less than we think they do.

Lestat

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
I know that an osteotomy could never give me the results that I wish for.

Mr. Fox. So please let me know: What are the alternatives to osteotomies then? Doing nothing? Waiting for a better world? :-X At least it is an improvement.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »
MR. Fox will say implants.

MrFox

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
MR. Fox will say implants.

I think that malar osteotomies are a valid solution for those that want or suit the outcome which they can give.

I was just saying that they could never give me MY desired outcome as my natural cheekbones are a feminine shape but my taste is to have them high and lateral.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »
I think that malar osteotomies are a valid solution for those that want or suit the outcome which they can give.

I was just saying that they could never give me MY desired outcome as my natural cheekbones are a feminine shape but my taste is to have them high and lateral.

I agree with you. I don't think osteotomy alone is the solution. And i'm not sure even osteotomy PLUS HA will do the trick. We would need something like the CT bone. I'm not sure yet what Bio oss is but maybe that would be better than HA?

MrFox

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
Lestat said that Bio oss is a soft material like HA paste so again, it wouldn't work for me.

I hope that CT bone gets released. If not, then I will stick to cartilage implants, regardless of their tendency to resorb.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »
Lestat said that Bio oss is a soft material like HA paste so again, it wouldn't work for me.

Listen, if you're willing to not engage in contact sports then the CT Bone looks okay. Also, in that video on this thread it actually says the CT bone will turnover with the metabolic cycle of the patient meaning it really does turn into real bone. So I mean hey that's our answer.

Let's proceed with CT Bone as the solution! Long live the new flesh!