Author Topic: Gunson can't give consult for 6 months. Braces could fix overbite by then. Help  (Read 4467 times)

Trader

I see, thanks for replying. Isn't there a specific amount of rotation that's needed to flatten the occlusal plane though? I had first premolar extractions as per my first surgeon and will be going with Gunson who will perform CCW with posterior downgrafting. From what I understood he'll do a chin repositioning to bring back the chin to where it should be.

I've seen a picture of a patient who had a surgery first approach with CCW and no decompemsation and she didn't look fully corrected.

I really hope Gunson will make it work even with the extractions I've had.. I'm so stressed from thinking about this.

I think you'll be fine. Actually, I think you might have a better result because of your extractions, since you'll have a larger mandibular advancement. I don't think you should get your chin reduced during surgery though. I rarely see class 2 cases end up with an overly prominent lower jaw or chin, and you'll also increase the risk of permanent nerve damage if you have surgery on your lower jaw and chin at the same time.

Do you have pictures of the patient you're describing? Who was the surgeon?

ascolta

Awesome, that's so great to hear.

It was an article on surgery first with a case study, probably by a Korean doctor.. I've been trying to find it. I'll post it here when I do.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Surgeons who rely on linear advancements are the ones who more likely to recommend extractions.

What is the other way of doing jaw surgery besides linear advancements?   
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

kjohnt

I think it depends on the surgeon. Arnett/Gunson will probably just leave the incisors slightly flared and perform more rotation. I've never seen them recommend extractions as part of a pre-surgical orthodontic plan. Surgeons who rely on linear advancements are the ones who more likely to recommend extractions.

Per the ArnettGunson website, extractions are recommended when indicated.  They wouldn't want the ortho to leave incisors flared.  Interproximal reduction can be used in lieu of that depending on the amount of space needed.

OP - Gunson  has a good rep but is hardly the only qualified and aesthetically-conscious surgeon around.  Consult with a couple other good surgeons.  Also, you should probably either pause the orthodontics until you make a decision or start decompensation - any camouflage work done will have to be undone.  And ask your ortho if he's done surgical cases before.  If not and if you decide to go that route, you might want to take a monetary loss and find one who has.

Lazlo

• Private
for f**k's sake just take the braces off for 6 months like GJ said.

And get an ortho Gunson likes to work with.

And just commit to jaw surgery. It's not that big a deal so stop being a p*ssy. I had a couple weeks of bad pain and my lip is a bit numb now and sensation is slowly coming back. maybe 20 percent back now. And growing steadily.

Jawdropper

• Just wing it
Hey jaw, I'm kind of in the same position as you. I'm about 7 months into orthodontic treatment to correct from what I understand is a mild class ii, crowding, and open bite case. Before putting my braces on, I was told I could choose to have 4 molars extracted (2 top and 2 bottom) any time during treatment if I feel that my teeth are going to be too forward or flared out. I have yet to do extractions, and I'm also now considering jaw surgery to fix my receded chin and jaw. Do you think the extractions helped you with your case? and what have you decided to do about continuing treatment and about surgery?

jaw

Hey jaw, I'm kind of in the same position as you. I'm about 7 months into orthodontic treatment to correct from what I understand is a mild class ii, crowding, and open bite case. Before putting my braces on, I was told I could choose to have 4 molars extracted (2 top and 2 bottom) any time during treatment if I feel that my teeth are going to be too forward or flared out. I have yet to do extractions, and I'm also now considering jaw surgery to fix my receded chin and jaw. Do you think the extractions helped you with your case? and what have you decided to do about continuing treatment and about surgery?

I told my ortho i wanted surgery and he changed my treatment plan. He keeps suggesting extractions - but I told him not until I get word from Gunson

Jawdropper

• Just wing it
I told my ortho i wanted surgery and he changed my treatment plan. He keeps suggesting extractions - but I told him not until I get word from Gunson

Oh I misread that you already had extractions. That's great, though this wait to consult with Gunson is pretty crazy. I plan on doing the same, and until then I'm gonna be saving.