Author Topic: Does a Bimax always require orthodontics before and/or after?  (Read 3157 times)

Lefortitude

Does a Bimax always require orthodontics before and/or after?
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
was thinking about getting a bimax with gunson or in south korea but ive had orthodontics as a child already and my occlusion is good.  One aesthetic maxfac near me said id need a year of braces before and after but after reading some information from the south korean maxfac hospital it seems thats not always the case

anybody have any information on this?

kjohnt

Re: Does a Bimax always require orthodontics before and/or after?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
No, but in most cases yes.  If you've been recommended braces, they're probably needed.

anona_mz

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »
I've read of some cases where it wasn't needed because their bite was fine. I'm hoping to do mine without braces as well, since I just got mine off in August. I really don't wanna have to be in braces yet again  :-\

anona_mz

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
Oh and I have a consult scheduled with Gunson next Thursday so I'll be sure to ask him about this and I will let you know what he says. My teeth are relatively straight, it's just my bite is off so I'm hoping I can get it done with just upper braces, after surgery, if anything.

Lefortitude

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »
@anona_mz yes please let me know what he says about your bite! my bite is perfect from braces when i was 12 so i wouldent want to have to undo the orthodontics and then redo them after surgery.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:43:54 PM »
Oh and I have a consult scheduled with Gunson next Thursday so I'll be sure to ask him about this and I will let you know what he says. My teeth are relatively straight, it's just my bite is off so I'm hoping I can get it done with just upper braces, after surgery, if anything.
He will tell you to get braces again.

anona_mz

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »
Really Plosko? Well that's a bummer. I'll ask anyway. I just want to see if there are exceptions.

zygotic

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
I'm interested in this as well.

I just spent the last three years getting camouflage orthodontics and wondering how much time it will take to get ready for surgery.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
More often than not you'll be required to wear braces before and after surgery so I would go in expecting to be told that. Some cases don't need braces at all or only need a very short period of adjustment but that is definitely not the norm.

kjohnt

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
To add to this, I'd honestly be a little concerned about getting surgery without braces.  You'd have to A) trust your surgeon to make the call that your teeth are already in perfect occlusion and the angles are correct and B) trust that your surgeon is precise down to the mm.  If for nothing else, I'd think braces are still necessary to fine-tune everything post-op.

That said, I've anecdotally noticed via web research that some of the older patients getting bimax for sleep apnea opt to not get braces.  Perhaps they're less concerned with the aesthetic aspect.

anona_mz

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
I've done some reading up on it myself. Looks like they do it somewhat commonly in Korea and with stable, aesthetic results. I just googled surgery first jaw surgery and several articles and reviews came up. A guy on real self had it done for about 10k in Korea. His results look pretty good. Also, I think if you have a good occullusion and they move both jaws forward equally, than your bite should remain the same, in theory. I would need some tweaking to make my bite fit and I'd also like a downgraft for more tooth show or CW rotation, if that's what that does.