Author Topic: Do I need jaw surgery?  (Read 1391 times)

Freeways

Do I need jaw surgery?
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »
Hello. I've always been a bit self-conscious about my nose/chin, and I'd like some advice on what procedures to improve this.

I've been contemplating sliding genioplasty for a while, but I've come to realize that this would be a "camouflage" option. I wonder if genioplasty would leave me with a very ugly mentolabial fold, as my chin isn't actually receded. I've heard that a chin visor can solve this issue, but it's difficult to find information on this procedure. Another option is chin wing, but seems like this is similar to genio in the sense that it doesn't affect the mentolabial fold.

The real solution seems to be double jaw surgery, but I'm not sure if my case is severe enough to warrant that.

If genioplasty or chin wing can give me a noticeable improvement I'll settle with that, but I do wonder if I'd end up disappointed with a "camouflage" procedure.

I'd really appreciate your advice on what procedures to pursue, thanks.

My pictures:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:49:22 AM by Freeways »

kjohnt

Re: Do I need jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »
I think SG is a good idea based on pictures.  The morph looks both realistic and spot on in terms of aesthetic outcome.

Bimax would net small gain not worth the physical and monetary investment/risk.  Other procedure would be something to straighten nose which I know nothing about.

You have a better ceph?  The one there is cutoff so the chin isn't visible.

Freeways

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »

You have a better ceph?  The one there is cutoff so the chin isn't visible.

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, the ceph was for my sinuses so unfortunately this is what I got. Edit: I have contacted the hospital and requested pictures that include the entire mandible.

Do you have any idea how many MM's of advancement I need to achieve the morphed picture? I have to get this right because I believe I need significant advancement to balance my nose/lips, but too much would look very odd with regard to the mentolabial fold.

Also, I wonder if I need a few MM's of vertical height to improve the mentolabial fold. However, this would limit the amount of horizontal movement I can get, so not sure if it is a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:13:10 PM by Freeways »

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »
You have an identical nose to me! Yes you would ideally get double jaw surgery, and if I were you I would get it BUT it all depends on how much you care, the cost, time you have, discomfort tolerance. I think you would benefit from it even more than I and I'll be getting it. It's really a matter of how much you care about it.

Freeways

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
You have an identical nose to me! Yes you would ideally get double jaw surgery, and if I were you I would get it BUT it all depends on how much you care, the cost, time you have, discomfort tolerance. I think you would benefit from it even more than I and I'll be getting it. It's really a matter of how much you care about it.

Just saw your nose in another thread - Yeah, our noses are similar, but yours doesn't project at the supratip break (I think) like mine does though, fortunately for you. :) I've tried morphing that part and just a tiny reduction makes my nose look far better. I wonder if bimax would improve this aspect, as I believe my nose is shaped this way due to the position of the maxilla.

I do have $15k, so I can afford bimax, but I'm leaning towards a standard genio at the moment.

What's your opinion on chin wing? I think chin wing + chin visor could give me a great result, but I guess that would cost around $10k. And at that point I might as well go for bimax...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:23:48 PM by Freeways »