Author Topic: Will double jaw surgery help me become average looking?  (Read 6053 times)

ScottMalkinson

Will double jaw surgery help me become average looking?
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
I've been a mouth breather pretty much my whole life and believe it played a huge part in how my face developed. Im seriously depressed about it and feel like I've been robbed of living life like I should be. Im underway in the jaw surgery process and am set to have impaction, advancement, and ccw rotation of the upper jaw, a bsso for the lower jaw, a septoplasty, and maybe a sliding genio. I'm not looking to become the most attractive person on the planet, I just want to be average looking enough to live a normal life. Do you think jaw surgery can do that for me? Ive attached a few pics, sorry if the lighting/quality isn't that great. Thanks for the replies!

http://i.imgur.com/EvLdwtn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wPz9s5U.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/muSTQ0o.jpg

triot

Re: Will double jaw surgery help me become average looking?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
CCW + Lefort I sounds about right. Maybe you don't need the BSSO because autorotation will solve that, your jaws seem to be farward enough (unless your bite would require a BSSO). The only concern I'd have is the upper lip length. You should look into a liplift, even though I think that your lip will be a little too long even after surgery. Septorhino is unnecessary. A small genio might be indicated.
You have decent cheekbones.

All in all, I do think surgery is worth it. :3 🦄✨

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »
Finally someone who actually needs surgery. You will need genioplasty as well. How long is your upper lip? If it's over 20 mm then a lip lift may be done to give you more impaction. That combined with a posterior downgraft would CCW the hell out of your jaws.  Then it becomes a question of how your joints will take such a massive rotation.

ScottMalkinson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:12:06 PM »
My upper lip is exactly 20mm. I'd definitely consider getting a lip lift but haven't heard many great things about the results and that usually there's a scar under your nose that makes you look like you always have a cold, which i dont know if I'd want. The septoplasty would be to fix my deviated septum, which is why I think I started moth breathing in the first place because nose breathing especially when I'm lying down at night is extremely hard. Like I said, im not trying to be the most attractive person in the world just normal looking, so I dont feel like I'd need a rhino of some sort, however I really dislike my nose and feel that if it was a little wider or bigger it would look better on my face. Thanks again for the replies, really appreciate it!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
My upper lip is exactly 20mm. I'd definitely consider getting a lip lift but haven't heard many great things about the results and that usually there's a scar under your nose that makes you look like you always have a cold, which i dont know if I'd want. The septoplasty would be to fix my deviated septum, which is why I think I started moth breathing in the first place because nose breathing especially when I'm lying down at night is extremely hard. Like I said, im not trying to be the most attractive person in the world just normal looking, so I dont feel like I'd need a rhino of some sort, however I really dislike my nose and feel that if it was a little wider or bigger it would look better on my face. Thanks again for the replies, really appreciate it!
The lip lift scar can be hidden in the alar crease, especially if done at the same time as the rhinoplasty. Although in your case you would need to get the lip lift before jaw surgery and doing rhinoplasty before jaw surgery is a bad idea.  Anyway  the lighter your skin is, the less obvious the scars are.

Your nose looks small because of your long recessed lower face. A lefort I advancement will sightly widen the nose.

ScottMalkinson

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
Why would the lip lift need to be done before the jaw surgery compared to after?
Then it becomes a question of how your joints will take such a massive rotation.
Also this might be a dumb question but what do you mean by this?

ScottMalkinson

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:32:50 PM »
also don't know if this helps at all but I have a slight open bite that will also hopefully be fixed with this surgery

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
Why would the lip lift need to be done before the jaw surgery compared to after?  Also this might be a dumb question but what do you mean by this?
To allow the surgeon to move your jaws and chin into the perfect position for tooth show and lip competence. No competent surgeon would overimpact you with the expectation that a lip lift will do the rest later.

The surgeon who invented CCW rotation claims that people who need CCW also have joint issues and the CCW may make them worse. He has a reputation for needlessly replacing the joints. But he says that other surgeons who do CCW disregard the simply ignore joints leaving their patients with problems later on.

marcus3415

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
You're going to look and feel great after surgery! Excited for you :)

ScottMalkinson

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

As mentioned before I'm scheduled to have double jaw surgery and after doing a bit of research I'm beginning to get cold feet about the whole thing. A lot pictures I've found of the before/after results are unimpressive, especially in males, and I feel like most of the pictures online have better starting points then I do. Is there anything else I should be looking into besides the double jaw (bsso, impaction, ccw rotation) and possible genio to maximize results?

Also been doing research on lip lifts and a lot of patients seem to have scars that make them look like they constantly have a cold, which almost makes it look worse than it was before. Even if i decided to get one, I don't think I'd be able to fit it in before jaw surgery, so would that hinder my results even more? Thanks for the replies, all are greatly appreciated!

Picollo30

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
from what ive been told sliding genio is very important so you can have a strong chin, also double jaw surgery doesnt give the chiseled jaw angles if you dont have them. only chin wing or jaw implants do that.

swsee

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
You mention that you've been underwhelmed by results, but also that those people had a better starting point than you. That's sort of what you have in your favor. The worse off you are too begin with, the more likely your results will provide a significant change. My starting point was horrendous. Arguably deformed. Now I look normal with a decent chin. I was able to have a huge advancement though due to my crappy starting point, and as a result got a great improvement from jaw surgery. Much moreso than someone who only got like 5 or 6mm of advancement (my chin came forward ~25mm)

I think you should go through with it. I think you'll get a great result

David_D

• Private
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
The lip lift scar can be hidden in the alar crease, especially if done at the same time as the rhinoplasty. Although in your case you would need to get the lip lift before jaw surgery and doing rhinoplasty before jaw surgery is a bad idea.  Anyway  the lighter your skin is, the less obvious the scars are.

Your nose looks small because of your long recessed lower face. A lefort I advancement will sightly widen the nose.

I don't mind my own lip lift scar, and I have fair skin coloring and the scar blends well.  That said, if one doesn't want to get additional red lip showing, a central lip reduction simultaneous with the lip lift may be a good idea - I was pleased with the results of that.  I'm not sure about the guidance to have lip lift prior to jaw surgery.  I think that competent surgeons might disagree on that point, or might think that the sequence would be dictated by case-specific factors.

I think it makes sense generally speaking to handle structural issues prior to soft tissue issues.

My nose became much, much wider from upper jaw surgery.  I liked it at first.  I don't like it now - maybe my nose has kept growing with age.

ScottMalkinson

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »
Thank you for the replies!

So general consensus would be to consider the lip lift after surgery depending on the results? Should I also look into anything for cheekbones or anything else, or do you think they're ok as they are?

johnnyg12

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »
Hmm to be completely honest, your lower jaw does not look recessed but your chin is, there's a difference. The problem is mostly your midface. I think sliding genio, chin wing and leforr 1 is perfect and you shouldn't touch your nose it's fine, masculine.