Author Topic: Permanent nerve damage risk from chin wing or sliding genio  (Read 2186 times)

Jilkster

Permanent nerve damage risk from chin wing or sliding genio
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:27:06 PM »
I asked this once before about sliding genio only and the results were mixed. I contacted some surgeons, again very mixed replies, but many act as if the risk for permanent nerve damage is low.

What do you guys think? What percentage of people getting a chin wing will have permanent nerve damage of some kind, messing with sensation? What about with sliding genio?

Lefortitude

Re: Permanent nerve damage risk from chin wing or sliding genio
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:36:53 PM »
from my understanding, the risk is lowest with the sliding genioplasty, because the osteotomy does not go around the entire mental nerve.  I would also like to hear from anyone who has had persistent numbness.

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »
I had a 6mm advancement sliding genio about 5 months ago. Apart from the bimax procedure, this has been the only troublesome area, I have numbness all around my chin. It feels like I'm wearing a helmet strap across the chin. I can contract the muscles around the area and it's just dead numb, no sensation, unless I touch it with force or any hot object. From what I hear, it takes the longest to heal, approximately 1 year to get half the sensation back.  I would also agree that the sliding genio is less to suffer from nerve damage, just due in nature to where the nerve is at and that surgeons are conscious about cutting in that area.

Curious is your lower chin fairly hard to the touch now?  Like as if the bone is pushing out against the soft tissue, thinning out the area of protrusion?  That's been a possible contributor to my problems, but with a chin implant at 7mm and now 12mm. Flexing the chin pad is when it feels like a chin strap.

Jilkster

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
I had a 6mm advancement sliding genio about 5 months ago. Apart from the bimax procedure, this has been the only troublesome area, I have numbness all around my chin. It feels like I'm wearing a helmet strap across the chin. I can contract the muscles around the area and it's just dead numb, no sensation, unless I touch it with force or any hot object. From what I hear, it takes the longest to heal, approximately 1 year to get half the sensation back.  I would also agree that the sliding genio is less to suffer from nerve damage, just due in nature to where the nerve is at and that surgeons are conscious about cutting in that area.

So did you get that numbness from genio or from bimax?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »
I'd say it's hi, more like 70 percent. Surgeons want customers.

Lefortitude

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »
No way its really THAT high.  There has been thousands of cases preformed, and less than 100 people have ever come forward with lingering nerve issues as far as i can find on the internet.  id say tops 15% for chin wing, 5-10 for SG

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 12:46:10 AM »
No way its really THAT high.  There has been thousands of cases preformed, and less than 100 people have ever come forward with lingering nerve issues as far as i can find on the internet.  id say tops 15% for chin wing, 5-10 for SG
IMO, there is always nerve damage.  The first category - "I have no numbness at all" - the damage is simply below the lowest level of conscious perception, but diminished/altered sensation does show up in tests.  The second category - "I have numb patches here and there, but they don't bother me or I don't notice them" - there is a lot of people in this category.  Then there is the third category - numbness so bad and widespread that is noticeable and debilitating.  I don't know what the split is amongst these groups.  But it does seems like the "debilitating" group is in the minority.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 01:19:33 AM »
well put.

Lefortitude

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
IMO, there is always nerve damage.  The first category - "I have no numbness at all" - the damage is simply below the lowest level of conscious perception, but diminished/altered sensation does show up in tests.  The second category - "I have numb patches here and there, but they don't bother me or I don't notice them" - there is a lot of people in this category.  Then there is the third category - numbness so bad and widespread that is noticeable and debilitating.  I don't know what the split is amongst these groups.  But it does seems like the "debilitating" group is in the minority.

absolutely.  I can certainly handle some numb patches on my chin and jaw line, but the lips would be devastating.  Hopefully i make the right choice as to which surgeon i select. 

CCW

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
If I remember correctly, the chin wing is almost as risky as a BSSO (makes sense). The numbers were significantly lower for an SG.

Lefortitude

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 05:55:38 PM »
Id think the bsso osteotomy of the inner ramus down to the mandible would have greater risk to cut or damage a greater number of nerves, such as the inferior alveolar nerve and lingual nerve.  in contrast, the chin wing would only pose risk to the mental nerve.