Author Topic: Weird prickly numbness in chin and lip?  (Read 2742 times)

Icy

Weird prickly numbness in chin and lip?
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
Hey guys,

So I'm recovering fabulously from my surgery, back almost 100% to normal, but I have a weird lingering patch of tingly not-quite-numbness on the right hand side of my bottom lip and chin. They worked more on that side, so it makes sense that it's taking longer to heal and it hasn't yet been 60 days since my procedure so I know it's early for complete nerve regeneration. It seems likely that I'll recover all sensation since it came back very very quickly! Anyways, my question was is there any way to predict when it might be back, based on my speedy recovery timeline? My surgeon just said anywhere from 3-6 months, so I know I'm being impatient... I presume there isn't any way to mitigate the unpleasant sensation that my lip is on inside out? xD It's driving me a bit mad, every time I eat or drink anything I feel it on my face, I've developed a very strange tic of wiping my face every time, feels like everything I eat is all over my chin lol.

Vic

Re: Weird prickly numbness in chin and lip?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
The tingling sensation is a good thing, it's just your nerves going back to normal. Just try and ride it out

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »
Hey guys,

So I'm recovering fabulously from my surgery, back almost 100% to normal, but I have a weird lingering patch of tingly not-quite-numbness on the right hand side of my bottom lip and chin. They worked more on that side, so it makes sense that it's taking longer to heal and it hasn't yet been 60 days since my procedure so I know it's early for complete nerve regeneration. It seems likely that I'll recover all sensation since it came back very very quickly! Anyways, my question was is there any way to predict when it might be back, based on my speedy recovery timeline? My surgeon just said anywhere from 3-6 months, so I know I'm being impatient... I presume there isn't any way to mitigate the unpleasant sensation that my lip is on inside out? xD It's driving me a bit mad, every time I eat or drink anything I feel it on my face, I've developed a very strange tic of wiping my face every time, feels like everything I eat is all over my chin lol.

I have the exact same thing, tingling was there right after surgery on the bottom right lip but it feels like there is a bit of a dead spot there too even though if I press it it all tingles. I'm now 6 months post-op and honestly not much of a change. I too keep wiping my chin and bottom lip cause I feel like its falling on my face. Don't know how long it will last or if it will ever change. Mostof the time it doesn't bother me but sometimes I get a bit panicky that I've f**ked up my face cause of all of this.

buzzhead

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
I had bimax  done a year and a half ago.  I'm not as young as you guys and I have some residual numbness in my lower right lip.  But it is not a big deal.  My mouth still functions normally and everything else is doing great.  Absolutely no relapse with my maxilla downgraft even though cadaver donor bone was used.

buzzhead

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »
I forgot to add that I don't even notice it any more.

Icy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 02:17:01 PM »
I have the exact same thing, tingling was there right after surgery on the bottom right lip but it feels like there is a bit of a dead spot there too even though if I press it it all tingles. I'm now 6 months post-op and honestly not much of a change. I too keep wiping my chin and bottom lip cause I feel like its falling on my face. Don't know how long it will last or if it will ever change. Mostof the time it doesn't bother me but sometimes I get a bit panicky that I've f**ked up my face cause of all of this.

Oh hell, I hope it's not permanent! It's such a weird feeling! It doesn't bother me all the time, but I wouldn't want to be dealing with it forever :/

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
Oh hell, I hope it's not permanent! It's such a weird feeling! It doesn't bother me all the time, but I wouldn't want to be dealing with it forever :/

yeah me neither. Anyone else have this a year after surgery?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
The numbness and tingling sensations means the nerves are firing electrical impulses. You will get sensation back, and no there is no way to determine when. I had bimax 3 months ago with a genio, and I still cannot feel my lower lip at all. But if i flick my fingers against the lip, I do feel nerve impulses, which means they did not cut the nerve, and there are still sensations there.
Just be patient, my surgeon told me that nerves do bruise easily when they move the bones around, so it takes the longest to heal from this, aside from the swelling.

cool! Good to hear

LyraM45

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »
I had my numbness retreat to a prikly tingly sensitive yet numb patch on my lower right lip/chin.  By 6 months it's what I was left with and it never got any better.  When I had revision I knew I was risking making that worse, but not only did I get everything back, but I feel like my original numb patch that was left after the first surgery was actually improved a hair.  Either way, good chance you might have a lingering patch like this.  It's really not the end of the world and more often than not the risk is worth the reward there if you end up in this boat.  When people say you get used to it, you really do.

Rico

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
The fastest first step of nerve recovery is up to 3 months postop

then second slower step - up to 6 months
and then much slower  step to the end of nerve regeneration. some say up to 1 y , others up to 2y

Generally the more you get within first 6months the better, because after that period  the recovery is getting much slower

In my case within first 3 months I got about 40%
after next 3 months I gout I would say next 25%
after next 3 months I got about 10% more
and after that no significant improvement :(

I would say i have now no more than 75-80% of normal nerve function and I'm depressed because in my case it's 1/3 of the face (another surgery) - big area

How much kcal per day you eat ? do you eat a lot of fruits and vegatables ?

Rico

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
Icy I have question

Me and anoter guy here have not good nerve recovery and we booth were on low carbo diet (not from choice, accidently)
You have good regeneration. Do you eat a lot of carbo ?

check your BMR  - http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html

Rico

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
Look at this:  about KD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312079/

interesting...