Author Topic: Facial Asymmetry + surgeons Opinion (Paul Johnson) UK  (Read 1510 times)

ollien18

Facial Asymmetry + surgeons Opinion (Paul Johnson) UK
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:15:17 AM »
Hi All,

I saw Mr Paul Johnson here in the UK about a year ago in regard to something I've noticed since i was pretty young. Pretty much the whole of the left side of my face is somewhat underdeveloped in comparison to my right . My eye is considerably lower , my cheekbone much less pronounced and my mandible on that side is shorter giving the impression that my chin points over to my left. It almost seems like the left portion of my mandible points forward, whilst the longer right side points across my face..

Unfortunately I'm not fully comfortable posting a full facial pic online which is unfortunate because really you need to see my full head shape to appreciate this but will hopefully suffice..

upon seeing him he said i have a cross bite (although to me presents no functional problems) and my mandible is deviated 1-1.5 incisors to my left.

Subsequently he gave me 2 options:

1. A rotational Genioplasty that would Correct 90% of my asymmetry . I've heard very little on this type of genioplasty and haven't been able to find much about it online so if anyone could chime in on this that would be great ! Im slightly wary of this procedure given that i have a very sharp jawline and can imagine that signs of change may perhaps be more obvious, such as a step off .

2. A Sagital Split Osteotomy which would require braces both prior and post op but would correct my asymmetry and correct the dental midline.

He himself said that he personally would go for the genioplasty.

Thanks for the advice !

Ollie

[attachment deleted by admin]

PhoenixHiker

Re: Facial Asymmetry + surgeons Opinion (Paul Johnson) UK
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
Hi Ollien,

After a botched surgery I'm now in the same situation - a crooked jaw and midline. I consulted other surgeons (I'm in US) and since I already had a jaw surgery, most of them are reluctant to do another one, so probably I may (and have to) go with genioplasty. Here're some points I got after numerous consultations.
1) Genioplasty can correct chin/front jaw asymmetry, but it will NOT change your bite, teeth, TMJ and tooth midline.
2) Genioplasty is cheaper than a Sagital Split Osteotomy
3) Genioplasty is less risky (in terms of potential nerve damage) than jaw surgery

I've never heard about rotational genioplasty but surgeons around here told me it can be rotated.
If possible and if you're comfortable, can I see your pic with your nose straight and chin a little bit up? And/or can I see your bite (open mouth and bite down the teeth together)? Of course you can still cover everything else in the pic.

zygotic

Re: Facial Asymmetry + surgeons Opinion (Paul Johnson) UK
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
It sounds like you've had a long time to think about it. Is Paul Johnson the only surgeon you have consulted with?

I'm curious why the rotational genioplasty will correct 90% of your asymmetry, when you say you have asymmetrical eyes and cheekbone. Did he suggest fillers for those areas?

Did you provide x-rays to him for analysis?