Author Topic: What to have ready after my son's surgery - what helped you heal??  (Read 799 times)

caymusjordan

I've just started my research and may have missed earlier posts - so I apologize if this has been covered before.

My son is having lower jaw surgery in two months.  What should I have ready for after surgery?  He'll have to go back to school just under two weeks post-op which worries me and he really can't afford to lose weight...

A friend mentioned a waterpik...any other items - gauze pads?  alcohol/hydrogen peroxide?  Our surgeon will give us a list, but I know when I have had surgeries, past patient accounts were more helpful.

I will load up on protein shakes, pudding, mashed potatoes, etc...any suggestions as to what was helpful from those of you that have had the surgery is greatly appreciated!!

Lefortitude

Re: What to have ready after my son's surgery - what helped you heal??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »
no straws - they damage sutures

theres a device (i forget the name) which is like an electronic cold pack, which wraps around the lower/mid face which gets to a perfect cool temperature.  Ive herd this is great at controling swelling and speeding up the recovery by other patient accounts.  Using ice packs work, but you have to keep doing 5 mins on/5 mins off and its not as effective or convenient. 

otherwise your son should be fine.  you seem smart enough to come and post on a forum like this (something my mom could never do) so he is certainly in good hands.  good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 10:12:27 PM »
As for food, yogourt, ice cream and I lived on gatorade for some reason even though I don't normally even drink it.

Vitamin B 12 sublingual spray

I was breathing out of my nose right out of surgery but some don't and then get dry mouth so chapstick/lip balm is helpful.

I had no pain anywhere except for my chin which absolutely killed for like three weeks. A big hunk of ice or cold pack is all that helped. So have some of those available.

Cleaning wasn't a big deal.

brian626

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:03:17 AM »
not really post op and i have no experience with it YET, but I heard eating a lot of pineapple pre surgery can help with swelling

caymusjordan

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
Thank you all for the responses.

Met with the surgeon Monday and decided to add the upper jaw - more for cosmetic reasons...but, if he's going through this, it doesn't make sense not to do everything.  I'm just really worried about the recovery and falling behind in school (junior year is tough enough).

I'll look into the cooling "thing" and the diets:)