Author Topic: Orthognathic surgery in Australia  (Read 3773 times)

Vincent999

Orthognathic surgery in Australia
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:07:09 AM »
Has anyone had this done in Australia? I have contacted maxfac clinics but they required an orthodontist referral to schedule an appointment. My teeth and bite isnt the issue, Ive had ortho work done in the past and I don't want to pay for unnecessary appointments. I really want a maxfacs opinion and cephs taken of my skull. From my research others have faced this problem when wanting jaw surgery for cosmetic reasons. It appears jaw surgery is only offered in Australia for structural issues such as sleep apnea which is very disappointing.

ppsk

Re: Orthognathic surgery in Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
Has anyone had this done in Australia? I have contacted maxfac clinics but they required an orthodontist referral to schedule an appointment. My teeth and bite isnt the issue, Ive had ortho work done in the past and I don't want to pay for unnecessary appointments. I really want a maxfacs opinion and cephs taken of my skull. From my research others have faced this problem when wanting jaw surgery for cosmetic reasons. It appears jaw surgery is only offered in Australia for structural issues such as sleep apnea which is very disappointing.

Hi Vincent, I'm in Australia too, but I haven't pursued surgery yet.

I'm in the same boat as you however - want/need it for purely cosmetic reasons. I'm currently looking at profilosurgical, they appear to carry out the full range of maxfac surgeries, as well as implants and even distraction osteogenesis.

leastaway

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 07:04:14 PM »
I had double jaw surgery and genioplasty in Sydney. It was done by Dr Sherring in Miranda. He is a great doctor.
I need a referral to see him. I just get it from my dentist or Orthodontist. I no longer have an Orthodontist and need surgery done on my bottom jaw again. My surgery was not for cosmetic reasons. I have seen people who appear to be getting the surgery only for cosmetic reasons.
You can get a referal for a lateral ceph xray from dentist too. I just ring my dentists reception and get the referrals whenever I need new ones.
Word of warning though, jaw surgery was extremely painful in my case. I had very bad pain for months after.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Vincent999

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 05:38:33 AM »
I had double jaw surgery and genioplasty in Sydney. It was done by Dr Sherring in Miranda. He is a great doctor.
I need a referral to see him. I just get it from my dentist or Orthodontist. I no longer have an Orthodontist and need surgery done on my bottom jaw again. My surgery was not for cosmetic reasons. I have seen people who appear to be getting the surgery only for cosmetic reasons.
You can get a referal for a lateral ceph xray from dentist too. I just ring my dentists reception and get the referrals whenever I need new ones.
Word of warning though, jaw surgery was extremely painful in my case. I had very bad pain for months after.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Thanks for the reply, I have a few questions.

What was the total cost with and without braces? I'm assuming you had insurance/Medicare cover most of it.

Do you know how many double jaw surgeries your doctor performs a year? Does he do CW/CCW rotations?

And are you willing to post before/after pics? You can send via pm if you like.

Thank you.

leastaway

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
I had no insurance as I couldn't find a company that would cover me for any treatment as it was all 'pre-existing'. My surgery was covered by medicare. I think because I was born with messed up jaws and it caused me a massive amount of pain.
I have actually had braces twice. The first ortho tried to fix my problems without surgery. I didn't pay for thos braces as I as a child. I have however, paid all out of pocket for wisdom teeth removal (5, thats right), gum surgery for gum recession due to 5 years of braces, and the second set of braces. All that cost me about 15000-18000. I pay a portion of consult fees for the surgeon as well. I think they were only about 100 each time.
As for this second surgery, it will be medicare again. This second surgery is simply due to my ortho closing gaps that he said he wouldn't close after the surgery. My bottom jaw was moved forward about 7mm in the last surgery. It sat perfectly until ny ortho began moving teeth months after surgery. It now needs to be moved forward another 5mm. I'm lucky and don't need braces again this time.
My surgeon does a lot of surgeries a year. Everytime I'm there I see people who have had surgery or who are going to have surgery. Not sure about your surgery in particular. You could call reception and ask. They are very nice.
I'm actually oveeseas at the moment but I will see if I have any photos from before on facebook.

2jawkorea

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »
Joslyn shand , andrew heggie from maxfac melbourne

Rico

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
I think in Australia you have a lot of good surgeons , since citizens do many risky sports and drink a lot :)

and from time to time this happens    >-|-o You   >== crocodile
>-|-o>==   ;)