Author Topic: Maxillary impaction for normal bite, reduction of distance between lips and eyes  (Read 2279 times)

Mexaneeke

As the title says, I'm interested in knowing, since there is barely any information about it on the internet, whether it's possible to reduce the distance between the lips and the eyes (I guess that includes shortening the nose) in someone who has a regular, normal bite. My face is long and narrow, but my biggest concern is  that my eyes, alongside of being small as f**k, are also close set, meaning I've got close set eyes and a long nose/midface which makes me look ridiculous. Though the biggest issue is that the info on fixing this horror is so scarce, it makes me believe it's impossible to do.

The info I have been able to find though, the responses of surgeons (namely Barry Eppley) on RealSelf, suggest that receiving a maxillary impaction when the bite is good, risks burying the teeth behind the upper lip. Taking into consideration my upper teeth already don't show up when my mouth is in a resting position (when I open up my mouth) suggests that this is mission impossible.

Close set eyes, paired with a long nose/midface length, and a lot of bone space next to the eyes since they're close set is a suicidal combination that guarantees depression and seppuk* before 25. I'm 22.

Lestat

kavan

• Global Moderator
What you seem to be saying is that you don't have a '1:1' ratio relative to a horizontal distance vs. a vertical one.  You can test that further to see if that's the case by doing the following:

draw a horizontal line from edge to edge of iris. draw this through the pupils.

from the midpoint of that line draw a vertical so that it divides the nose and stops between the parting between the upper and lower lip (where the lips part).

If the horizont = the vertical than the ratio; h/v= 1 or '1:1' ratio. So, it sounds like that's not the case.

In terms of simple math/geometry, we could get the 1:1 ratio by increasing the (horizontal) distance between the eyes or decreasing the (vertical) distance as described above. Unfortunately, however, this ratio is basically a core one that can't be changed.

HORIZONTAL

1: The distance between the eyes can't be increased.

!! (OK, so it can IF your a pediatric case with a severe disfiguring deviation from the norm. But for all intents and purposes, most doctors are unlikely to accommodate doing that for a small distance change.

VERTICAL

2: The vertical distance can be separated into 2 parts which you can do by drawing another horizontal line right under the base of the nose and another one right through the parting of the lips. So H( through the eyes), H (base of nose) and H (through the parting of lips).

Part a:  would be the V distance between H(through the eyes) and H(base of nose). That vertical distance CAN'T be changed.

Part b  would be the V distance between H (base of nose) and H (through the parting of lips). That vertical distance can be changed ONLY IF there is excess gum show. Basically TOO MUCH gum and tooth show.  If there isn't but instead there is NOT ENOUGH tooth show it 'contradicts' pursuit of a surgery to decrease that part of the vertical distance because then your upper teeth would not show even when you smiled.

So, it sounds like your excess V distance is to PART A which CAN'T be changed. NOR can the distance of the eyes be increased to get an equal 'H' to the 'V' you have.

But don't feel bad because at least you now know not to go chasing your tail with surgeries in pursuit of changing a ratio that for all intents and purposes can't be changed.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

RedLips

This is my same issue. I’ve gotten fillers to make my face look less thin, but I still hate how the length looks. I thought the issue was the middle third of my face, but doctors have said it’s the bottom third.

RedLips

What you seem to be saying is that you don't have a '1:1' ratio relative to a horizontal distance vs. a vertical one.  You can test that further to see if that's the case by doing the following:

from the midpoint of that line draw a vertical so that it divides the nose and stops between the parting between the upper and lower lip (where the lips part).

If the horizont = the vertical than the ratio; h/v= 1 or '1:1' ratio. So, it sounds like that's not the case.

In terms of simple math/geometry, we could get the 1:1 ratio by increasing the (horizontal) distance between the eyes or decreasing the (vertical) distance as described above. Unfortunately, however, this ratio is basically a core one that can't be changed.

HORIZONTAL

!! (OK, so it can IF your a pediatric case with a severe disfiguring deviation from the norm. But for all intents and purposes, most doctors are unlikely to accommodate doing that for a small distance change.

VERTICAL

2: The vertical distance can be separated into 2 parts which you can do by drawing another horizontal line right under the base of the nose and another one right through the parting of the lips. So H( through the eyes), H (base of nose) and H (through the parting of lips).

Part a:  would be the V distance between H(through the eyes) and H(base of nose). That vertical distance CAN'T be changed.

Part b  would be the V distance between H (base of nose) and H (through the parting of lips). That vertical distance can be changed ONLY IF there is excess gum show. Basically TOO MUCH gum and tooth show.  If there isn't but instead there is NOT ENOUGH tooth show it 'contradicts' pursuit of a surgery to decrease that part of the vertical distance because then your upper teeth would not show even when you smiled.

So, it sounds like your excess V distance is to PART A which CAN'T be changed. NOR can the distance of the eyes be increased to get an equal 'H' to the 'V' you have.

But don't feel bad because at least you now know not to go chasing your tail with surgeries in pursuit of changing a ratio that for all intents and purposes can't be changed.

I’ve heard people say that sometimes impaction INCREASES the length of the midface, which terrifies me. Is that the case? Im scared of having surgery and looking worse than I did before

RedLips

As the title says, I'm interested in knowing, since there is barely any information about it on the internet, whether it's possible to reduce the distance between the lips and the eyes (I guess that includes shortening the nose) in someone who has a regular, normal bite. My face is long and narrow, but my biggest concern is  that my eyes, alongside of being small as f**k, are also close set, meaning I've got close set eyes and a long nose/midface which makes me look ridiculous. Though the biggest issue is that the info on fixing this horror is so scarce, it makes me believe it's impossible to do.

The info I have been able to find though, the responses of surgeons (namely Barry Eppley) on RealSelf, suggest that receiving a maxillary impaction when the bite is good, risks burying the teeth behind the upper lip. Taking into consideration my upper teeth already don't show up when my mouth is in a resting position (when I open up my mouth) suggests that this is mission impossible.

Close set eyes, paired with a long nose/midface length, and a lot of bone space next to the eyes since they're close set is a suicidal combination that guarantees depression and seppuk* before 25. I'm 22.

OP, something that has brought me comfort is that there are some celebrities who are considered beautiful who also don’t meet (or don’t always meet) the 1:1 ratio. Look at Bella Hadid, Liv Tyler, Elize Ryd, Dichen Lachman, Ashley Tisdale, and sometimes Gisele Bundchen.

And look at Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, if you’re a guy.

kavan

• Global Moderator

I’ve heard people say that sometimes impaction INCREASES the length of the midface, which terrifies me. Is that the case? Im scared of having surgery and looking worse than I did before

Well, ask those people.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Mexaneeke

HORIZONTAL

VERTICAL

Ehh, figured as much. I actually don't really mind that ratio, but the reason my face looks wonky is because of too much space to the side of my eyes'. Like, my head appearing way too wide for my face because my eyes are closer set. They're too small for my face. They aren't that close set, not is my midface that long.

I'm a guy, but my face has Miley's ratio in this pic https://imgur.com/a/vecdI2c
Then again, my face appears to be slightly wider, and that width, additional space next to the eyes cannot be changed, either. So basically everything making my face wonky cannot actually be changed.

Mexaneeke

OP, something that has brought me comfort is that there are some celebrities who are considered beautiful who also don’t meet (or don’t always meet) the 1:1 ratio. Look at Bella Hadid, Liv Tyler, Elize Ryd, Dichen Lachman, Ashley Tisdale, and sometimes Gisele Bundchen.

And look at Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, if you’re a guy.

My face comes closest to Ryan Gosling's, and I'm not a big fan of his looks... Also a lot of those people you posted might not have 1:1 ratios, but some have normal set eyes and a bit longer midface. Idk, I don't think 1:1 is that important. For example look at my previous post. She looks gorgeous (at least to me) despite having an insufficient ratio.

dammit_daniel

On the subject of long faces: What do you guys think of Adam Levine's face?

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2018/08/02/4-Levine.w330.h330.jpg

His face looks pretty long to me, but I think his saving graces are his wide cheekbones, jaw and wide chin. The upper,mid,lower sections all seem harmonious in there lengths.
People always talk about how long faces aren't attractive but I think Adam pulls it off pretty well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:55:10 PM by dammit_daniel »

Mexaneeke

His face looks pretty long to me, but I think his saving graces are his wide cheekbones, jaw and wide chin. The upper,mid,lower sections all seem harmonious in there lengths.
People always talk about how long faces aren't attractive but I think Adam pulls it off pretty well.

I think he looks quite decent, but I'm very sure looking slick and groomed plays a tremendous part in his looks. I'd say that his midface is unfortunately too long, and that's really killing his looks. Groomed, looks really good. I think unekept he'd be pretty average looking. He'd have killer looks if his mid was a bit shorter.

RedLips

I think Adam Levine is one of the sexiest men I've ever seen. I didn't think of his face as long until I started looking on jaw forums, and even then, I think he's still insanely hot.

Someone pointed out that unkempt, he'd be closer to average-looking. But isn't that the case with most people? I used to work in the media industry and I saw a lot of celebrities in person. Without a professional hair and makeup team, they looked pretty normal and unremarkable.