Author Topic: Lip lift/ Jaw surgery sequence.  (Read 5642 times)

Milli_Meters

Re: Lip lift/ Jaw surgery sequence.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 03:57:51 AM »
But is lip incompetence acceptable?  This is why lip lift followed by jaw surgery is preferred.  The jaw surgery will fix any lip incompetence from the lip lift.

I think that is the strongest argument for lip lift first.  But I wonder if certain movements were required in a jaw surgery for functional or aesthetic reasons (say a down graft) wouldthe jaw surgeon stop short to accommodate the lip lift even if it compromises the jaw surgery..?

Vic

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 06:30:37 AM »
Lip Lift always after jaw surgery. For one your lips get pulled in all directions by the surgeon when he's doing jaw surgery which can pull on the incision of the lip lift. Also with genio's they can change the lower lip shape, so you'd want to see what that outcome is of that before doing a lip lift, to make sure that both upper and lower lips are in harmony

Milli_Meters

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 06:49:42 AM »
Lip Lift always after jaw surgery. For one your lips get pulled in all directions by the surgeon when he's doing jaw surgery which can pull on the incision of the lip lift. Also with genio's they can change the lower lip shape, so you'd want to see what that outcome is of that before doing a lip lift, to make sure that both upper and lower lips are in harmony

That is what I think too. It just seems counter intuitive to imagine bone being tailored to fit soft tissue as opposed to vice versa. I will ask all surgeons during my consults about the subject and will update this thread, for those interested.

simonsjaw11

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
That is what I think too. It just seems counter intuitive to imagine bone being tailored to fit soft tissue as opposed to vice versa. I will ask all surgeons during my consults about the subject and will update this thread, for those interested.

Have you figured out which one should come first?