Author Topic: Terrible bimax results, pls help.  (Read 2322 times)

usedtobepretty

Terrible bimax results, pls help.
« on: March 28, 2017, 03:57:18 AM »
Hi everyone,
Theres so many knowledgable people in this forum I hope you can give me some advice and maybe recommend a surgeon for my complicated case.

I had my 2 teeth removed in upper jaw when I was a kid (canines/3rds)
I still was a very attractive girl and had no problems with my face (small heart shaped very often commented I look like nicole ritchie) but by the age of 26 decided to put braces to straighten teeth (nothing big I just had gaps in upper jaw). In order to do that orthodontist removed one teeth in my lower jaw (4th) and pushed everything back.
By the age of 30 (2 years after taking of braces) I could not recognize myself in a mirror. I swear I aged 20 years and looked lile the lady here which is 60 (my profile)

http://www.deardoctor.com/articles/hidden-consequences-of-losing-teeth/

went to another orthodontist who said I was vlass II and she recommended Damon to recreate spaces for 3 missing teeth and implants to restore my look. She couldnt do it so removed upper 7th teeth and in the end still left me with half spaces where no implants could be placed. Thats when O went to orthognatic surgeon and he said I need braces again to de - camouflage and do the surgery.
(My upper jaw is not wide I only have 12 teeth in upper arch)

I had my bimax in january during surgery doctor decided to do genioplasty as well although i disnt think i have a problem with chin other than ot seemed too close to my nose (again see photo from link)

As a result of surgery:

- 5 mm downgraft in front and 3 mm at the back (i think thats called impaction?)
-5 mm advancement (foreard)

I have no cheek support they dropped
My face looks very long
Chin is very masculine
I show no upper teeth at rest/when I smile I show 90-100% teeth and some gums on sides.
My upper lip seems long and dont have support

On top Im diagnosed w motor nerve damage
Doctor also placed fat in my lips which wasnt discussed we disussed fat in cheeks before but i suppose he wanted to help my lip support. Overgrafted, performed mocro-lipo which resulted in uneveness and miscle damage of some sort (butning tingling still and still larger than other side.

Im at a complete loss.
Can you suggest any surgeons? Should I look for revision? Or plastic surgeon? My doctor agrees results are not grreat but he says hed only do chin revision and lip lift but my lip when measured is quite small and I dont believe its the right thing to do.

Thank you for any suggestions and thoughts.

usedtobepretty

Re: Terrible bimax results, pls help.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:06:29 AM »
O should also add Im 4th month after surgery and also experiencing problems with chewing (cannot chew without opening my mouth)
Not sure of its a question of getting used to new jaw? Or sth worse.?

Milli_Meters

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:03:20 AM »
You should consult a few good surgeons (some of the big names here) and see on what parts they form consensus.

slysurfz

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
Go to a revision expert in your area or one of the big names like Arnett Gunson, Wolford, Sachs etc. atleast get an opinion

usedtobepretty

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
Go to a revision expert in your area or one of the big names like Arnett Gunson, Wolford, Sachs etc. atleast get an opinion

Thank you. Will do

Milli_Meters

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »
You should get started on setting up appointments right away. With Gunson it will probably take 6 month waiting time. By that time you will have further confidence in your concerns.(Ofcouse I hope the opposite happens and with time your concerns)atleast some of them go away.) While I am sure you got a sub optimal result you still are very early out of your surgery.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »
You should get started on setting up appointments right away. With Gunson it will probably take 6 month waiting time. By that time you will have further confidence in your concerns.(Ofcouse I hope the opposite happens and with time your concerns)atleast some of them go away.) While I am sure you got a sub optimal result you still are very early out of your surgery.

Hello thank you for replying. Do you believe my face will still change much? Its 4th month cant see any swelling?
Also.. I started researching surgeons but Im literary terrified of another surgery. Butning mouth is killing me I feel like thinking of next surgery is madness, living with this face - impossible, but let face it another surgery may turn things from baad to hopeless right? Or not? Im so confused :( thank you for your support.

CCW

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
Hello thank you for replying. Do you believe my face will still change much? Its 4th month cant see any swelling?
Also.. I started researching surgeons but Im literary terrified of another surgery. Butning mouth is killing me I feel like thinking of next surgery is madness, living with this face - impossible, but let face it another surgery may turn things from baad to hopeless right? Or not? Im so confused :( thank you for your support.
No, this is your final result. Revisions are quite common, so there's no reason you shouldn't get one if you aren't happy with your result. Gunson and Wolford are the top revision surgeons in America.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
No, this is your final result. Revisions are quite common, so there's no reason you shouldn't get one if you aren't happy with your result. Gunson and Wolford are the top revision surgeons in America.

Thanks I thought so..
I will schedule appointment w Gunsin but after spending 20 k already dont know how to proceed and raise another 70 now (which os what I read he charges)..
I didnt know revisions are so common..
I didnt see too many stories even here on this forum.. especially with happy ending.
Im so terrified.
I feel Id be much better if not for facial (motor) nerve damage.
Thank you CCW

Milli_Meters

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »
I recently had my BiMax in November. The chief complaint was a high mandibular plane angle, long face. The surgeon refused to show me the pre-surgical 3D computer models, but assured me he would address this during the surgery. I even posted my xrays and cephs on here, because all he did was downshift the mandible (class II) and brought my chin out and all my anterior measurments from the post op cephs actually enlarged my face even more! The surgeon asked me to get 2nd opinions and all them agreed with me. So I presented this to the surgeon and he told me he was no longer going to talk to me. ??
He did this without my consent, which is in my dictionary, medical malpractice. Everything has to be given to you, so you consent to the procedure done.
So here is my advice to you. Every surgeon's office has a patient experience program, or by the name of another name. Go seek 2nd opinions from surgeons in your area. It may cost money but it's well worth it. Tell them everything, make sure you obtain all the cephs (pre and post), side xrays, pre-surgical photos, panorex, and post-op PROFESSIONAL photos. Then either get back in contact with the surgeon on a possible revision surgery with the advice of professionals (which can include Orthodontists and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, board certified). If the surgeon doesn't want to correspond with you, go through the patient experience body. If they refuse, then your more than able to get answers from a complaint to a medical/licensing board. But only if you believe they did something wrong, or ignored your concerns or did something without your consent. Many malpractice lawsuits are dismissed because Surgeons are allowed to make mistakes, we're human. Note: You may need a letter for a referral to be evaluated by another OMS or Orthodontist, some need those, others don't. And also, I ran into this situation while working with surgeons in my area, they refer patients off to my surgeon, and they told me it would be "unethical" to get a second opinion. Some are biased if they actually refer patients off to the surgeon your working with, so thats why I suggest looking outside your area.

Good advice. She is not based in US though.