Author Topic: Do I have low cheekbones?  (Read 8480 times)

dervyx

Do I have low cheekbones?
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:32:01 AM »
I lack projection and have scheduled cheekbone augmentation(HA) with dr Defrancq soon. Only problem is from my understanding, for low cheekbones custom implant is preferred to place it high on the malar bone, and HA paste/osteotomy for cheekbones that are already high.

Here is a picture of mine. I tried to angle the lighting so it is easier to tell:

http://i.imgur.com/N7L5Yyp.jpg

Do you think HA paste would work well in my case?

CCW

Re: Do I have low cheekbones?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:29:11 AM »
No. I wouldn't do anything if I were you.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
They're not high, but they're not particularly low either. In between

dervyx

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »
I'm actually surprised you could get all this from one front-facing pic but you're definitely right in everything you mentioned.

The reason I pursue jaw surgery is because of my smile that teeth extractions ruined and surgeon recommended a combination of bimax/sarpe. From my understanding any maxilla advancement will make my already flat midface even more flat which is why I want to pursue cheekbone augmentation at the same time.

I will look more into ZSO.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »
They are medium/low, large vertical length, mostly flat malar eminence, minimal anterior projection, decent amount of lateral projection. People will confuse your excessive buccal hollowing with a "great cheekbone" area and automatically say you have high cheekbones. In my opinion you're a poor candidate choice for HA and if you pursue surgery you should get an osteotomy.

Your mid-face looks very flat but all we have to go off is one picture taken in unusual lighting conditions.

FWIW I think surgery is a bad idea, you look good.

Agree with everything here

slysurfz

• Private
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:07:53 AM »
Not an expert on cheekbones but to my eye you look good. I wouldn't let a  surgeon touch that if I were you. Just my two cents

tjarrr

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:36:25 PM »
They are medium/low, large vertical length, mostly flat malar eminence, minimal anterior projection, decent amount of lateral projection. People will confuse your excessive buccal hollowing with a "great cheekbone" area and automatically say you have high cheekbones. In my opinion you're a poor candidate choice for HA and if you pursue surgery you should get an osteotomy.

Your mid-face looks very flat but all we have to go off is one picture taken in unusual lighting conditions.

FWIW I think surgery is a bad idea, you look good.

I agree but the cheekbones aren't low -- I think this is a common misunderstanding where people look at the zygomatic bone alone or the zygomatic process of the maxilla (the malar eminence), rather than at the zygomatic process of the temporal bone, to determine cheekbone superoinferior position. These structures are connected and it's impossible to have high zygomatic bones without high temporal bones. The malar eminence can project more inferiorly and still look good if the temporal bone is still positioned high. The temporal bone is part of the zygomatic process and so it's part of what we are actually saying when we say someone's cheekbones are low. This is why people in this forum never tend to agree about whose cheekbones are low because the whole zygomatic process is not being taken into account. I think cheekbones at the temporal bone need to be no more than 1 cm below the lower eyelids for them to be considered "not low". What I'm saying perhaps flies in the face of what most people here believe, but it's a theory of mine and it seems to really hold true in understanding how cheekbone position leads to facial attractiveness. For instance, when we look at the temporal bone rather than the zygomatic bones:

High temporal bones:

http://i.imgur.com/oWpNxWe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/An2M8Yf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5mYwSSq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cm9UlcF.jpg

Low temporal bones:

http://i.imgur.com/48MU6dc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lS8ewPD.png

http://i.imgur.com/m7Dw3kg.png

It appears that having low temporal bones will always lead to less soft tissue around the eyes and this is what tends to give them that hollowed out appearance / scleral show in the eye area.

Since the whole zygomatic process is connected to the maxilla, if you have a recessed maxilla this can give the appearance of low cheekbones simply because you don't have enough bone supporting the soft tissue up around the temporal bone. A recessed maxilla often leads to the appearance of low cheekbones. Getting a LeFort I will allow for more soft tissue above your cheekbones, although it's not a striking change in this area. I'd imagine the change would be similar in magnitude to the decrease in scleral show (~10%) that usually occurs after a LeFort I. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:05:23 PM by tjarrr »

Vic

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »
Pic 3 & 4 cheekbones are mint

tjarrr

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
Similar thing here, attached. From a research study that used a "prototypically" attractive vs unattractive face, these were the stimuli used in the experiment that showed that babies look longer at more attractive faces. If we measure the widest part of the face below the eyes, on the left it's higher and much closer to the eyes than the one on the right. So temporal bone determines cheekbone height. However, the one on the right also has more facial fat and it's possible this is contributing to the appearance of low cheekbones -- but his maxilla is also recessed which you can tell by looking at the bottom of the nose and also at how the lower lip is thinner because of less soft tissue support. (TBH though, I don't even think he's that bad looking...not even ugly, IMO. But he's still nowhere in the same league as the guy on the left obviously.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

CCW

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »
Isn't Benedict Cumberbatch kind of famous for his cheekbones?

tjarrr

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
Isn't Benedict Cumberbatch kind of famous for his cheekbones?

They're prominent but they're low. If anything he's kind of famous for looking weird. There's a whole internet culture around his weird, alien-like appearance. He is probably not the best example, but he does have low cheekbones at the temporal area.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
I agree it's a cranial thing. I don't see how implants or leforts of any level can change this.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »
I lack projection and have scheduled cheekbone augmentation(HA) with dr Defrancq soon. Only problem is from my understanding, for low cheekbones custom implant is preferred to place it high on the malar bone, and HA paste/osteotomy for cheekbones that are already high.

Here is a picture of mine. I tried to angle the lighting so it is easier to tell:

http://i.imgur.com/N7L5Yyp.jpg

Do you think HA paste would work well in my case?

You're an ugly motherf**ker if I ever saw one. I wouldn't bother with surgery nothing can help you.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »
OP, take what Lazlo says as a great compliment. It's his way of saying you look great, don't do anything. But by all means see those surgeons and report back. If they try to push procedures on you, we'll know that they are shysters to be avoided.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 12:18:21 AM »
The OP is such a c*nt. He's probably been scouted  as a male model tons of times and he's here trying to troll and make us feel even worse about ourselves. f**k OFF YOU c*nt.