Author Topic: I had a facial analysis done -- can anyone help me interpret my results?  (Read 10131 times)

tjarrr

Re: I had a facial analysis done -- can anyone help me interpret my results?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »

Yeah if we go by his SNA and SNB deviation from the mean (very helpful info Trader, btw!), than he's got it even worse than me by 5 degrees on average.  Everyone told me I needed bimax, so tada! You must therefore be a candidate as well.  Interesting your maxilla is weaker than mine by 10 degrees (SNA measurement) and mandible also slightly worse but your face looks much more balanced than mine was pre chin implant and nose job.

Hi, I'm bumping my post because I was doing some reading and I think these measurements require reconsideration.

Apparently, the SN plane can be abnormally tilted. Unfortunately I now cannot find the article I read the other day which suggested that in some patients, measurements using SN plane can produce wildly inaccurate results for this reason.

According to my mandibular plane angle measurement, which uses SN plane (SN-MP) my mandibular plane is steep. However, my mandibular plane according to the Frankfort-mandibular plane angle (FMA) is not steep at all, in fact smaller than normal. Furthermore, my gonial angle is normal (116 degrees).

Also: my upper incisor angles are all normal (U1-NA, U1-FH, U1-Occ Plane) except for the U1-SN angle. How could all of this be, unless the SN plane is abnormal?

Another example: the Saddle/Sella angle (SN-Ar) is wildly abnormal and 5.5 standard deviations away from the norm.

According to my hypothesis, then,  my abnormal SN plane angle appears to have messed up my SNA and SNB measurements.

Assuming I'm right about my U1 position being good, and my U1-SN angle being instead an indication of my abnormal SN plane: if we normalize the U1-SN angle number to 102.8 and subtract the given angle, the difference gives us about a 12-13 degree deviation. If we account for my abnormal SNA and SNB angles with this deviation, then this brings both values into the normal range.

What does everyone else think? All comments/insights are appreciated!!  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:13:39 PM by tjarrr »

tjarrr

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
I don't know how to respond to that because I don't really know why my jaws are "far from perfect", given what I've written above.

When the come beam CT scan was being taken (which is how the cephalometric analysis was performed), I had to lay my head on a chin rest and the top of my head was held in place. I don't think it would've been possible to have forward head posture during the scan.

Anyway, I also thought people might be interested in these photos after a consultation I had with Dr. Yaremchuk, he's not a maxillofacial or orthographic expert but he did believe my main issue was "midfacial hypoplasia" or what people call recessed midface.  He added fillers around the eye area and paranasally and this is what I look like now. I know fillers are not a long-term solution, but I guess if I can get away with it I would just prefer implants rather than LeFort I + LeFort III which are much more invasive obviously. I don't have sleep apnea or bite problems either.

My question: how the hell do I know if my recessed midface is dependent on a recessed maxilla (given I believe my SNA + SNB angles are misleading) or is the result of some other etiology completely, like not enough soft tissue?

[attachment deleted by admin]

tjarrr

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
Another thing I want to add: I'm also somewhat disinclined to believe it because the consensus among experts seems to be that if the jaws are recessed, misaligned, grow vertically rather than horizontally, etc, then that inevitably has consequences on dental occlusion. My dental occlusion however seems fine according to the analysis and in real life I've never even needed braces! My wisdom teeth never grew in however, presumably because there was no room for them to even erupt. Not sure if that is related at all. Otherwise my occlusion/teeth are all naturally in great alignment. Not saying that braggadociously at all btw! I'm just genuinely confused!!!

katapult2

What I would really like to understand is how the hell my mandible length is 84 cm smaller than normal??? It just baffles me beyond belief that that could even be possible. Could my prominent chin be camouflaging how small it is? Still doesn't account for an 84 cm difference... a vertical growth pattern doesn't explain it either, since the literature seems to suggest that in vertical growth the mandible plane is the same length but the angle is just steeper. According to these results in the summary section, my mandibular plane is apparently steep, although I don't know which values to look at to see this for myself.

20.9 sd :D --> you would be the 10^(-95) percentile --> There are 10^(90) atoms in Universe...

I think SN is wrong measured and CoGn a 1 was forgotten 38.5->138.5. I agree with Trader.

Lazlo

• Private
Jesus this dude again. His nose is fine, his jaws are fine and his eyes are fine. He just needs to get rid of that bird's nest on his head!!!!!