Author Topic: Genioplasty when you have an overbite  (Read 5785 times)

DC77

Re: Genioplasty when you have an overbite
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »
yeah and why the heck is the morph zoomed in? makes the before/after much harder to gauge.

Sorry I was trying to crop the photo as the morph has changed my nose
and tightened up my neck, neither of which I would ever contenplate surgery for!

So the morph might be more realistic if BSSO was done you feel, but mayb an advancement genioplasty  would be similar but not as much imorovement

jawregret

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »
I would even go further and say that if you have vertical height added, your lower lip might slightly roll in, making the discrepancy between your upper and lower lip even more exaggerated(uglier). It happened to me after my SG and seemingly most people although it does get better over time.

Yep, agreed. Same thing happened to me.

needadvancement

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 02:45:31 PM »
Yep, agreed. Same thing happened to me.

And it takes a highly skilled and knowledgable surgeon to be able to work with the nerves of the lips and improve the aesthetic look. Apparently there's a way of going about it that could either pull the lip down or 'roll it in' depending on what the patient needs, not many can actually do this with control. 9 out of 10 SG surgeons will just hope they didn't damage nerves and hope for the best so it is a gamble.

DC77

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »
And it takes a highly skilled and knowledgable surgeon to be able to work with the nerves of the lips and improve the aesthetic look. Apparently there's a way of going about it that could either pull the lip down or 'roll it in' depending on what the patient needs, not many can actually do this with control. 9 out of 10 SG surgeons will just hope they didn't damage nerves and hope for the best so it is a gamble.

Just to say my surgeon does lecture internationally on genioplasty, and has written book chapters specifically on this. If I did go ahead I would want him to do this as I feel he is experienced. But it does seem to be a procedure that is quite subjective, as opposed to the planning involved with actual
Jaw surgery.

needadvancement

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
Just to say my surgeon does lecture internationally on genioplasty, and has written book chapters specifically on this. If I did go ahead I would want him to do this as I feel he is experienced. But it does seem to be a procedure that is quite subjective, as opposed to the planning involved with actual
Jaw surgery.

Sounds good, though the results and amount of surgeries he does are the most important Imo. And depends on if you think the minor risks are worth the potential reward. I think they are which is why I plan on getting another SG. Look at it this way, you should be good if your goal is to get to a better point aesthetically than you are at now. And once you make the decision it's better to forget about other mental distractions like other surgeries you "could be getting instead" like bimax, chin wing etc.

Breakkate

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 06:05:50 AM »
I had jaw surgery 4 years ago to correct my overjet (10mm). Unfortunately it has now regressed almost back to where it was (8mm). They are unable to redo my surgery due to condylar resorption. They best they can do for me now is to put my braces back on (something as a 25 year old I am not exactly thrilled about as most of my friends got rid of their braces 10 years ago) to try and correct the overjet as much as they can. After the surgery my teeth no longer meet on the right hand side, so the braces will fix this for me too. They have also suggested genioplasty for me to rid me of my slight double chin effect I have as a result of my slightly receded chin. They mentioned that my nose also contributes to the imbalance of my face, so they did mention rhinoplasty for me too.

So whilst jaw surgery will fix the problem, i think genioplasty can be a good way to disguise the problem. If the bite of your teeth doesn't bother you, and you care more about the appearance of your profile, it could be a good less-extreme way to achieve your desired appearance. Unfortunately for me I don't have the choice!

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
Genio will not give you the result in the morph.  You'd need a BSSO to do that.

I have a deep overbite and everted lower lip. I didn't have the sub labial fold that you do and still had to get a bunch of filler in that area after my chin implant. So assume a genioplastly is going to make this worse. I also don't think it will make you better looking, unless you consider a jutting chin to be attractive.

If you don't want to do the BSSO, I'd recommend going in with a high density filler all around the chin, sub-labial fold, jawline and jaw angles. It lasts about 2 years.