Author Topic: Correcting lip incompetence  (Read 1076 times)

Morgion

Correcting lip incompetence
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
I have suffered from lip incompetence since I was born and throughout a large part of my life it has been one of my biggest issues with how I look. I had braces a few years but that didn't manage to correct the problems I have with my lips.  I have come to a stage in my life where I'm done with it and have decided to do something permanent about my problems surgically and I'm now in process of researching what can be done etc. I'm starting that process with posting pictures of myself here on this forum and basically asking people around here to evaluate how I look and what can be done. Would be really grateful if anyone could help

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:02:00 AM by Morgion »

Lefortitude

Re: Correcting lip incompetence
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
Interesting that orthodontics didnt fix your problem.  It looks like your very prognathic, which is alright in terms of looks, but can be a problem when it comes to keeping your mouth comfortably shut at rest. 

A bimaxillary setback will likely do the trick.  See some top surgeons and make sure they consider aesthetics, and not to push your jaws too far back relative to your skull.  a straight profile (straight line from the nasion to the mandibular incisors, with the maxilla slightly in front of this line) should be the most it is set back.  nothing worse than being retrognathic.

Airway size should also be considered.  I imagine since people with OSA who have their jaws moved forward often have their symptoms relieved, have the jaw moved back could cause a problem.  make sure to have a measurement of your airway and how much the setback will reduce it. 

notrain

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Don't get jaw surgery because of this, you look fine. The lip will descend on its own during the aging process, your mouth will close right around your midlife crisis when you start worrying about your hair and your overweight wife won't sleep with you any more.

Morgion

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
Interesting that orthodontics didnt fix your problem.  It looks like your very prognathic, which is alright in terms of looks, but can be a problem when it comes to keeping your mouth comfortably shut at rest. 

A bimaxillary setback will likely do the trick.  See some top surgeons and make sure they consider aesthetics, and not to push your jaws too far back relative to your skull.  a straight profile (straight line from the nasion to the mandibular incisors, with the maxilla slightly in front of this line) should be the most it is set back.  nothing worse than being retrognathic.

Airway size should also be considered.  I imagine since people with OSA who have their jaws moved forward often have their symptoms relieved, have the jaw moved back could cause a problem.  make sure to have a measurement of your airway and how much the setback will reduce it.

Thank you very much for the reply! Do you know the average cost of a  bimaxillary setback and of any good surgeons in Europe?