Author Topic: Complication Rates ? - - Nerve damage / paralysis in lips and chin area ?  (Read 745 times)

Bobbit

In reviewing old threads - - I keep seeing lots of references to medium to long term and often permanent nerve damage to sensation in the lips and chin area.

This appears to almost be the "norm" rather than the rare exception from the posts here.   

Is that just because more people that have problems post here - -  and it is not representative ? 

Does anybody have any real statistics or  useful experience ?

Tom2

From everyone I talk to and information I have read:

Expect nerve issues from these types of surgeries.    You may feel the damage is worth the improvement but expect the damage.

molestrip

• Private
By my estimates, about 50% of people will experience no loss in sensation. They tend to be younger patients, early 20s. Other than surgeon skill, much of it has to do with the type of procedure done. Large advancements are much more problematic than small reductions for example and individual anatomy. Another 40% experiences reduction in feeling but not elimination. They typically describe it as feeling different or like it's a little tight. No one has said it's problematic for them yet. The one that seems to bother people more is the upper lip, which shouldn't be an issue unless you're having lip work done or work on the cheekbones. It seems to be a side effect of SARPEs too somehow.