Author Topic: Benefits of double jaw over chin wing?  (Read 4940 times)

Milli_Meters

Re: Benefits of double jaw over chin wing?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
All good advice from ppsk.

Just , not sure if this guy is that recessed.

Also , about the bimax + CW in Europe approach , that is obvious but unless I am mistaken the surgeon indicated he would not do Bimax on whatdo. But I am not sure.

whatdo

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
chin wing is ironically the worst when its used for what it was actually designed for IMO - as a camoflage treatment for bites corrected purely through orthodontics....

When its used purely for aesthetic benefit like lowering jaw angles or vertically enhancing chin, I think it's best. Its not a good substitute for what bimax does IMO, and realizing this is probably why surgeons like Z do them together if the patient wants.

The problem with using it as a profile correction is its only correcting the lower border of the mandible... you will still have a recessed mouth area.

By not a good substitute you are referring to functional corrections from bimax, right? The recessed mouth area would mostly be lip incompetence, right?

If you have to travel to get a chin wing, you might as well enquire with those same surgeons in europe about bimax. It should not cost anything close to 55k.... even someone Raffaini is only something like ~20k euro all included (which is about 22k usd) for bimax CCW and that is a surgery first approach which is ideal for someone with no bite/functional issues.

I have asked about bimax w/ ccw from surgeons but I get a toss up. Two local surgeons said they only suggest the lower jaw. Gunson said both, two European docs suggested just a chin wing given there is no big occlusion. It really just leaves me back at square one wondering if undergoing, not from so much a cost perspective, but an aesthetic one, if jaw surgery is worth it vs a chin wing.

I did not mean to infer you have any ginormous "issues" that MUST be cured.

However if you are interested in improving your looks , your jaws will likely just reap marginal - mild rewards because they are not so recessed/bad.

Just ask Gunson if he will do a bimax after a CW. iDk why not.

I know. I don't think they are "huge" issues, but I want to fix my appearance yet at the same time, make the right choices.
To me, it seems like if I did go down the bimax route, I would later find my upper third has recession and needs fixing as well in order to compensate for the jaws being moved forward.

All good advice from ppsk.

Just , not sure if this guy is that recessed.

Also , about the bimax + CW in Europe approach , that is obvious but unless I am mistaken the surgeon indicated he would not do Bimax on whatdo. But I am not sure.

I posted my ceph before and can again if it helps. The surgeons in Europe didn't flat out say no, just suggested a chin wing instead when I inquired about a recommendation of bimax or chin wing.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »
I gathered from your PM he had said No. He has to others.

Well , then , when you meet him it's all up for discussion. Tbh you will be running around in circles if you do this from the keyboard. Go see some B n As , ask which ones are bimax + CW , which CW alone and so forth. Its not fool proof but should give you an idea. And yeah if European surgeons agree to bimax , you could follow that up with a CW. I know 2 cases like that , turned out pretty good.

Good luck.

ppsk

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 10:09:29 PM »

Well , then , when you meet him it's all up for discussion. Tbh you will be running around in circles if you do this from the keyboard. Go see some B n As , ask which ones are bimax + CW , which CW alone and so forth. Its not fool proof but should give you an idea. And yeah if European surgeons agree to bimax , you could follow that up with a CW. I know 2 cases like that , turned out pretty good.

Good luck.

+1

AFAIK zarrinbal does something like chin wing + a lip surgery to mimic the effects of an LF1.... this might be a healthy compromise.

Lefortitude

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
+1

AFAIK zarrinbal does something like chin wing + a lip surgery to mimic the effects of an LF1.... this might be a healthy compromise.

yes he puts some cartilage under your upper lip, makes it look like the maxilla was advanced

whatdo

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »

Good luck.

Thanks, yeah I am going to see if he can schedule me for a consult.
+1

yes he puts some cartilage under your upper lip, makes it look like the maxilla was advanced

That sounds like it would be a very good compromise. Thank you for telling me about this!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 05:17:09 PM »
Onlay grafts resorb eventually (unless it's lyophilized).