Author Topic: lip incontinence  (Read 2599 times)

sesnut

lip incontinence
« on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:58 PM »
So i'm about a week post op and had an underbite.
Upper jaw was moved forward 3mm and lower jaw was moved back 4mm.

My lips are still kind of swollen but I can close my mouth like I use to, but at rest, for some reason, I have the exact same lip incontinence as before.

The doctor opted not to do a genioplasty since my chin looked fine when I was on the table, but when my mentalis is strained, I lose the pad that is there when my lips are at rest.

So does anyone think my lip strain will get any better? I feel like its slightly worse because I have to move my lip around the braces, but wouldn't the 4mm movement back have helped with that?

Cmonster

• Private
Re: lip incontinence
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:44:52 AM »
So i'm about a week post op and had an underbite.
Upper jaw was moved forward 3mm and lower jaw was moved back 4mm.

My lips are still kind of swollen but I can close my mouth like I use to, but at rest, for some reason, I have the exact same lip incontinence as before.

The doctor opted not to do a genioplasty since my chin looked fine when I was on the table, but when my mentalis is strained, I lose the pad that is there when my lips are at rest.

So does anyone think my lip strain will get any better? I feel like its slightly worse because I have to move my lip around the braces, but wouldn't the 4mm movement back have helped with that?

It is very hard to tell what position and place your lips will settle as there is so much healing/swelling going on- I had a mentalis strain pre op and it went away then came back and went away, Im only 6 weeks post op so its hard to say... its a patience game! Try to do exercises that help lessen and reduce the pull of the scar tissue- and worst case scenario if at month 7/8 you still have it a genio might be an option.
Definitely be patient you are a week out :) it should get better!
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.