General Category > Emotional Support

Regret double jaw surgery and genie for open bite and retrognathia

<< < (3/11) > >>

tdawg:

--- Quote from: some1afterall on October 26, 2017, 01:37:14 PM ---The last photo is an "after" photo.

--- End quote ---

So here is the way I see it. I am in a similar situation as you were pre genioplasty. Basically there are two approaches to long face syndrome. Most surgeons impact the maxilla to get ideal incisor display at rest, and then move the lower jaw in essentially a straight line to make the bite fit. Surgeons like Gunson and Wolford do impaction with more counter clockwise rotation to change the mandibular plane angle which usually gives a better aesthetic result but is considered unstable by some surgeons. Surgeons who do the first method usually do a genioplasty to help make up for the difference. You and I both went to a surgeon that does more of the first method. They possibly slightly "under impacted" you to prevent the aging effects that an impaction can have, especially on women. Or you could have a hypermobile upper lip. The best way to tell would be to take a photo from the front with lips at rest. If you have normal incisor display(2-4 mm for a woman I think) then its a hypermobile upper lip.

kavan:

--- Quote from: some1afterall on October 26, 2017, 01:37:14 PM ---The last photo is an "after" photo.

--- End quote ---

OK. Thanx for clarifying. Then, it looks like you have some hardware (braces, appliances what ever..) and you are trying to hide them by lifting both your lower and upper lip upwards in your smile. Stretching the lower lip upwards would make the chin look longer and hoisting the upper lip upwards would of course, show more gum.

Basically, it doesn't look like a surgery to address a gummy smile would do. It looks like more of an effort on your part to contort your smile to hide something.

some1afterall:
hypermobile lip? I know that my philtrum seems lengthened after the le fort, but it may be that I had an open-over bite previously that made the upper lip paper shorter and more curved. I have some teeth show at rest, probably around 4mm.

the genioplasty was a secondary surgery, done 6-months after the le fort and bsso electively. I did it to enhance my profile, however, what I didn't realize is that moving the chin forward would potentially make my frontal view appear longer. When my chin was slightly recessed it had the appearance of my face being shorter from front view, and in my opinion a more feminine.

All in all, I've had a difficult time adjusting to the changes. I had idealistic expectations and wasn't prepared for the results to be nothing short of everything I dreamed of ;-/

It's nice to hear I'm not totally crazy and there are other jaw surgery patients that have thought of and had some of the same feelings and questions...

kavan:

--- Quote from: some1afterall on October 26, 2017, 05:24:22 PM ---hypermobile lip? I know that my philtrum seems lengthened after the le fort, but it may be that I had an open-over bite previously that made the upper lip paper shorter and more curved. I have some teeth show at rest, probably around 4mm.

the genioplasty was a secondary surgery, done 6-months after the le fort and bsso electively. I did it to enhance my profile, however, what I didn't realize is that moving the chin forward would potentially make my frontal view appear longer. When my chin was slightly recessed it had the appearance of my face being shorter from front view, and in my opinion a more feminine.

All in all, I've had a difficult time adjusting to the changes. I had idealistic expectations and wasn't prepared for the results to be nothing short of everything I dreamed of ;-/

It's nice to hear I'm not totally crazy and there are other jaw surgery patients that have thought of and had some of the same feelings and questions...

--- End quote ---

IMO, you had unrealistic expectations to expect to look just like you did to YOURSELF from the front but ALSO have GREAT improvements to the profile.

The surgery you got was aimed at reducing the gummy smile, fixing your bite and giving more jaw/chin balance to offset the CONVEX profile. It acheived that.

Unless you can hold a side mirror as to focus on the PROFILE and wish and want your old profile back, your regret is self negating, self conflicting and irrational.  The rational outlook would be to APPRECIATE the profile improvements and NOT deny them or block them out in
in favor or nursing regret about the frontal changes.

Although there are things you could do to further improve, the fact that you're regretting a good outcome due to being 'attached' or 'used to' a look from the front that did NOT look good from the SIDE is not a good indicator for me to suggest any. You need to resolve the CONFLICT
you have about self negating unrealistic expectations you had as to appreciate the WHOLE change
 before entertaining anymore surgery, lest you get attached or 'used to' one thing that will look different to you if you get another thing you don't like changed.

girl:

--- Quote from: tdawg on October 26, 2017, 02:48:15 PM ---So here is the way I see it. I am in a similar situation as you were pre genioplasty. Basically there are two approaches to long face syndrome. Most surgeons impact the maxilla to get ideal incisor display at rest, and then move the lower jaw in essentially a straight line to make the bite fit. Surgeons like Gunson and Wolford do impaction with more counter clockwise rotation to change the mandibular plane angle which usually gives a better aesthetic result but is considered unstable by some surgeons. Surgeons who do the first method usually do a genioplasty to help make up for the difference. You and I both went to a surgeon that does more of the first method. They possibly slightly "under impacted" you to prevent the aging effects that an impaction can have, especially on women. Or you could have a hypermobile upper lip. The best way to tell would be to take a photo from the front with lips at rest. If you have normal incisor display(2-4 mm for a woman I think) then its a hypermobile upper lip.

--- End quote ---

This, definitely. Along with palate expansion, especially in cases where there's an open bite.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version