General Category > Emotional Support

Before and after scans: ANS missing? Over advanced?

<< < (2/2)

kavan:

--- Quote from: GJ on November 10, 2017, 03:38:42 PM ---What is a tethered upper lip?

Never heard that term happening from jaw surgery.

--- End quote ---

It's when the base of nose is tethered to lip. It's something that comes along with a prominent anterior nasal spine and when the maxilla is forward with a prominent nasal spine. With Lefort 1 advancement, they can cut out or trim the ANS to prevent it from being too prominent when advanced forward. It's something they DON'T want to happen and can prevent. Some people have the prominent ANS and tethered lip naturally and a rhino maneuver cuts the ANS down to correct it. When the ANS is brought forward in L1, it can become too unfavorably prominent and the labial ledge where it's connected to the base of the nose can take on an unfavorable contour.

ETA: A large maxilla advancement with the ANS can cause too much upward rotation of tip and very WIDE/LARGE very open nasolabial angle. So, they can remove it to prevent that from happening.
A very open NLA is also referred to as large ANS with lip tethering. The 'lip' referred to is not the kisser but the labial ledge.

Overly FORWARD ANS with large NLA. NotE tethering of labial ledge.

GJ:
Oh okay, I always called that area the philtrum. Never heard the term labial ledge.

kavan:

--- Quote from: GJ on November 10, 2017, 04:45:42 PM ---Oh okay, I always called that area the philtrum. Never heard the term labial ledge.

--- End quote ---

The philtrum is the CLEFT or groove on the labial ledge. Philtrums are neither long nor short. They are either flat or grooved. Labial ledges are either long or short.

kavan:
I don't know. Can't answer questions relative to what was needed for airway.

kavan:

--- Quote from: mazilla on November 12, 2017, 06:31:01 AM ---What about the downgraft? Is that done on a purely cosmetic basis?

--- End quote ---

The presentation I made is now missing as are your IMGUR links they were based on. So, no more easy reference/referral to them to address your questions.

ETA: Waste of time and effort on my part to prepare illustrations and examples to explain things and then have OP request take down of photos. Will be spending no more time addressing OP's questions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version