Author Topic: Thumb-sucker's mouth  (Read 1835 times)

pekay

Thumb-sucker's mouth
« on: June 11, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
has anyone heard of this particular term before?

basically it looks like this:

Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
Re: Thumb-sucker's mouth
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »
same thing as LFS I think. thumb sucking is one way of developing jaws stunted in horizontal growth, with no shortage of vertical growth.

thumb sucking like enlarged adenoids forces a person to  assume their tongue in an unnatural inferior position. without the tongue in proper position, the upper palate isn't formed properly and the muscles around the mouth area are unopposed in their pressure against the maxilla, narrowing it over time, over erupting teeth, elongating the face

this is extreme thumb sucking, most thumb suckers seem to end up with easily correctable maloclussions

pekay

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
goes hand in hand with LFS

it has nothing to do with actual thumb-sucking it's just the name for it (incisor show + droopy lower lip)
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:03:59 PM »
goes hand in hand with LFS

it has nothing to do with actual thumb-sucking it's just the name for it (incisor show + droopy lower lip)
well I know thumb sucking throughout puberty can manifest as LFS, thought you meant that

may just be a phrase that the common person uses to describe it, like the 'slack jawed' look

pekay

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
well I know thumb sucking throughout puberty can manifest as LFS, thought you meant that

may just be a phrase that the common person uses to describe it, like the 'slack jawed' look

thumb-sucking, pacifiers, those old school baby bottles, nail-biting are all horrible habits that definitely contribute to improper dental skeletal development

yes, exactly just that.
Chopsticks > Spoons