Author Topic: Implants instead of jaw surgery?  (Read 2564 times)

startalk

Implants instead of jaw surgery?
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
I recently found out on Eppleys page about custom made midface implant for deficiency. Eppley said that it creates the effect of lf3 (minus the lip changes). If that is true it would be great tbh. What do you think? Should I go for it?
Also, can fillers help in midface area (cheekbone deficiency)? I am thinking of trying fillers first.

Lestat

Re: Implants instead of jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:15:20 AM »
Link please.

startalk

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
Sounds like a terrible idea.. your whole face will probably feel 'off' 24/7 forever after, and probably not have the ability to make expressions in that area quite as much as before. Soft tissue doesn't just accept the added bulk or maybe scar capsule without you sensing it in your face. At least that's been my experience. Also if that thing isn't perfectly placed, then the whole midface will be affected.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »
I recently found out on Eppleys page about custom made midface implant for deficiency. Eppley said that it creates the effect of lf3 (minus the lip changes). If that is true it would be great tbh. What do you think? Should I go for it?
Also, can fillers help in midface area (cheekbone deficiency)? I am thinking of trying fillers first.

Eppley knows what people are Googling for and has a blog entry for just about everything they are looking up.

Why do you think asking for 'blind' advice would be good advice as to whether you should go for it or not or do you have pics posted?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

startalk

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
Eppley knows what people are Googling for and has a blog entry for just about everything they are looking up.

Why do you think asking for 'blind' advice would be good advice as to whether you should go for it or not or do you have pics posted?

From dr. Y

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:10:22 PM »
From dr. Y

Not clear on this response. Dr. Y told you to get implants from Eppley? Dr. Y suggested implants after looking at your photos?

'Blind response', when I said it  refers to asking on here in absence of photos.

startalk

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »
Not clear on this response. Dr. Y told you to get implants from Eppley? Dr. Y suggested implants after looking at your photos?

'Blind response', when I said it  refers to asking on here in absence of photos.

Sorry, My question was bit weirdly stated.

I was asking for opinion here about midface augmentation in general- is it a good substitute to the jaw surgery? Can it replicate its effects (in aesthetic sense)?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 06:58:55 AM »
Well, midface augmentation as to the cheeks and orbital rim area was NEVER a 'subsitute' for jaw surgery.

Dr. Y's patient in that photo was a good candidate for what he got. He was not a candidate for jaw surgery.

Framboise

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
Obviously, it's not the same guy. Look at the brow shape and the tip of his nose.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Obviously, it's not the same guy. Look at the brow shape and the tip of his nose.

It IS the same guy. He's been on Y's site for many years and Y wrote a paper with this patient in it.

Lefortitude

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »
it is the same guy
dr Y and one of my local surgeons wrote a paper on alloplastic implants as an adjunct to orthognathic surgery (i think that was the title verbatim)  There are very few cases where this is actually a good option.  unfortunately, if you go to a surgeon who specializes in implants, youre going to get recommended implants, even if you need orthognathic surgery.

its horrible.  tons of people get chin implants when they needed a bsso.  it looks outrageously bad.

Lefortitude

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 06:10:17 PM »
that said, i think its often a good idea to ADD implants into the equation after orthognathic surgery when its indicated.  for example, i would get inferior orbital implants post bimax, if i ever end up having the damn surgery to begin with lol