Author Topic: Do the maxfacs often recommended here regularly refuse patients? Alfaro.  (Read 2155 times)

Jilkster

Alfaro told me I'd "clearly benefit from orthognathic surgery", posters here have said any bone cutting surgery in my case would be insane.

What have people's experiences been with maxfacs regularly recommended here in general and alfaro specifically regarding recommending surgery to those who don't need it?

ditterbo

My experience with Alfaro is he is more prone to suggest bimax than your local max facs doc.

PloskoPlus

Most will recommend surgery if there's a functional problem. This is sensible IMO.

haven

• Private
I've seen four surgeons in my area. All of them said they wouldn't consider any jaw surgery as they can't find any functional issues and I don't have any real complaint. The first guy I saw said he loves cutting people open and was disappointed when he saw me because he was expecting someone with a f**ked up face. I think that was his way of saying I look normal enough. Oddly enough only one brought up getting a genioplasty. Not really sure I'd get it with him if I decide to though.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Alfaro is a maxfax who will accommodate those who WANT the surgery to improve aesthetics even though there might not be a clear cut functional reason to do it or even if their present aesthetics are 'fine'.

Note how; 'WANT' is different from 'NEED'. So, alfaro accommodates requests from those who WANT maxfax if he thinks getting it will make them look better. So, no contingency from him that the person have functional issues or have a lot of
aesthetic deviations from the norm.

As to people on JSF telling people they don't NEED maxfax, it's to cut down on the many 'lookism' types who come here who confuse NEED with WANT. Like they might want max fax to look more like a male model and with that ask what they 'need'.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

haven

• Private
I'm pretty sure Kavan is right. I'm sure I could go see more renown surgeons and they'd likely be more inclined to offer more than what I'm looking for. At that point it's really up to the individual to weigh all the pros and cons to determine if it's really worth it for them.

CCW

Your local mom-and-pop surgeon only cares about your bite, so he will not offer surgery if your bite is fine. Alfaro/Raffaini/Gunson/etc. will do it if they think it can improve aesthetics or functional issues (a risk for sleep apnea down the line, for example) even if your bite is fine. They will not perform surgery just for the sake of doing it if you don't have a dentofacial deformity.

tim06

• Private
Your local mom-and-pop surgeon only cares about your bite, so he will not offer surgery if your bite is fine. Alfaro/Raffaini/Gunson/etc. will do it if they think it can improve aesthetics or functional issues (a risk for sleep apnea down the line, for example) even if your bite is fine. They will not perform surgery just for the sake of doing it if you don't have a dentofacial deformity.

Thats correct, I visited 3 and 1 only wanted to do a sliding genioplasty, another one tried to sell me fillers and the third straight told me to f**k off and cope with my looks