Author Topic: What is actually moved during a lower jaw surgery?  (Read 720 times)

Dogmatix

• Private
What is actually moved during a lower jaw surgery?
« on: April 01, 2018, 04:04:39 PM »
When looking at different animations of how the lower jaw can be advanced, it seems like the normal procedure is to split the jaw slightly behind the wisdom teeth vertically and then advance what has been detached.
To me it rather looks like a lengthening of the jaw, rather than advancement of it, as the part of the jawbone that is behind the wisdom teeth is left in it's original position.

I understand that this is a procedure that also clear the airways and can enhance the breathing. How is this actually achieved? Is it because the tongue and the throat is connected with the part that is pushed forward and not with what's left behind?

When simulating a jaw movement, people normally look in the mirror and push their lower jaw forward. Is it correct that this is not a representative trick to see what surgery can do, as it moves the entire jaw, and not lengthen it as a real surgery would.

Lastly, if my understanding above is correct, is this always how the jaw is detached, or are there situations where the jaw is actually moved forward and maybe is cut horizontally closer to the ear, if you understand what I mean?