Author Topic: COULD SOMEONE SMARTER THAN ME IN SCIENCE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!????  (Read 6828 times)

ForeverAloneDude

Re: COULD SOMEONE SMARTER THAN ME IN SCIENCE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!????
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
We need a market based solution. The best way imo is to spread the truth about orthos and 2018s s**t surgery techniques, particularly for cosmetics. Once people en mass seek better newer solutions, the market will provide them.

How, lol? Air dropping millions of balloons, hehe?

On another serious note, these bulls**t levels of toxic "everything is great" attitude and denial of the relation of appearance with quality of life needs to die. Only then will society actually create an influx in the demand of these things.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
Women can be attractive into their 50s if they stay out of the sun most of their lives and have good skin genetics. It's all about skin quality for them. Once it sags it's over.
Men, too, but it's not as bad. So lucky to have a full head of hair, full beard, etc and great skin. Hair covers up a lot of issues. Someone thought I was 30 the other day. Bless her heart!

Regarding research, yeah, there is research into new surgical techniques (e.g. Distraction, which will be the future), but you see top docs shooting it down rather than trying to improve it. The people trying to improve it are younger med students and doctors who are on the fringe, in general, because they aren't getting great business in the current paradigm. They likely aren't skilled at surgery, so they're in research. That's fine, but we don't have the best minds doing the more important work, which is improving this surgery's predictability. Society is very inefficient; a lot of malivestment. E.g. Our best minds are once again flipping subprime credit on Wall Street instead of fixing real problems. If this is what society rewards then this is the society we'll get.

And women can also conceal a really bad skull shape and forehead a lot better than men can with hair. There are less things in my opinion that BREAK a woman's appearance than a man's.

A societal shift with accepting looks and how it affects daily life will cause a demand.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 12:07:57 AM »
Guys, there's something I gotta come clean on.

I hate the idea of implants. They can break, shift, get infected and I just know you'll be able to feel them --they're not recommended as you age as they stick through and look terrible once your skin loses volume and laxity. All arguments against implants.

But I'll tell you, for sheer aesthetic value in the short term for the young and to provide truly significant augmentation in all three vectors with good balance (now that they're CAD/CAM customizable) nothing beats implants. They're the only things that I've seen provide significant aesthetic acension.

That's why I'm so keen about regenerative medicine and customizable biologic implants. They're going to solve all our problems. Most of us don't need nor ever wanted jaw surgery. We just wanted augmentation without implants.

Maxillofacial surgeons. You're mostly a bunch of f**king retards who can't do s**t right.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
Before anyone gets excited note how results are always "several years away." lol snooooooze its been like that for like thirty years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/instead-of-filling-cavities-dentists-may-soon-regenerate-teeth1/

Also, the one thing the article DOES get right is that dentistry is still in the "dark ages" with no significant advance for the past 50 years.

TRUTH. Really in all of medicine, but especially dentistry, jaw surgery etc...

I remember when almost a decade ago now Dr. Cameron Clokie told me that they were looking for a laser to do the osteotomies for jaw surgery so as to not disturb the nerves and make precision cuts. Yeah still waiting on that one. Porbably never.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »
Before anyone gets excited note how results are always "several years away." lol snooooooze its been like that for like thirty years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/instead-of-filling-cavities-dentists-may-soon-regenerate-teeth1/

Also, the one thing the article DOES get right is that dentistry is still in the "dark ages" with no significant advance for the past 50 years.

I remember when almost a decade ago now Dr. Cameron Clokie told me that they were looking for a laser to do the osteotomies for jaw surgery so as to not disturb the nerves and make precision cuts. Yeah still waiting on that one. Porbably never.

All dentists do is look for employment opportunities in your mouth.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 07:34:37 PM »
All dentists do is look for employment opportunities in your mouth.

Yep, but at least the internet is making everyone aware of that, so they'll have to try harder; maybe even invent something better than the current options. For example, everyone knows extractions are a disaster thanks to the internet. That only happened within the past five years, and I think we helped that narrative here.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2018, 08:21:09 PM »
Yep, but at least the internet is making everyone aware of that, so they'll have to try harder; maybe even invent something better than the current options. For example, everyone knows extractions are a disaster thanks to the internet. That only happened within the past five years, and I think we helped that narrative here.

You're absolutely correct----hopefully people will never suffer extractions again.

I think it would be great if we in fact totally boycott double jaw surgery. Tell them they can lose
their goddamn Ferraris and s**t till they man the f**k up and do a better job.

Seriously, my advice to anyone considering jaw surgery. Forget it. You'll end up with so many
ancillary problems it is not worth it. Aesthetically its a trade-off.

The orthodontics alone are f**king retarded. Celebrities with tons of money never straighten their teeth.

I have a feeling its cause there are some very smart people advising them that it will lead to tons of problems.
That's cause orthos look at patients like cash cows. How many f**king patietns can I get into a chair in a day.

f**k THEM. f**k MAX FACS and f**k ORTHOS. They all suck. Its a medieval science. Work motherf**kers!

startalk

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
I can bet that 100 years from now people will read about Jaw surgery and be like: “They did that then?” , sorta like how we cannot imagine surgeries in 17th century which were done without anaesthesia.
I agree that the most frustrating thing is lack of progress. Jaw surgery is, without a doubt, highly invasive and very medieval procedure.

As for Ray haha, my father happen to know him. Both our families emigrated from Austria in the similiar time. He is maven for sure, but was raised in rather “optimistic” environment. So I wouldnt take his date for a fact.

Lestat

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
Biological implants are okay, but what we really need is a "drug" that aims to stimulate bone growth. Apropo, has anyone ever tried growth hormones (hgh)?

startalk

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »
Biological implants are okay, but what we really need is a "drug" that aims to stimulate bone growth. Apropo, has anyone ever tried growth hormones (hgh)?

I agree that drug would be a great solution..
As for HGH, IIRC it stimulates mandibular growth, and when abused it can cause some pretty bad prognathism.

Lestat

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
I agree that drug would be a great solution..
As for HGH, IIRC it stimulates mandibular growth

Well, and would it work for adults? Sounds like you speak from experience?

startalk

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
Well, and would it work for adults? Sounds like you speak from experience?

It should.

Look for disease called acromegaly, basically pituitary tumor- body secretes too much of HGH and prognathism is one of the main symptoms.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
It should.

Look for disease called acromegaly, basically pituitary tumor- body secretes too much of HGH and prognathism is one of the main symptoms.

Rondo Hatton  had that. 

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

startalk

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »
Rondo Hatton  had that. 

Yeah, horrible impact on face tbh.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »

What are the hurdles that come for having laser osteotomies without disturbing the nerves and making precision cuts?