Author Topic: Thoughts on my surgical plan? BSSO, LeFort 1, and Genio for OSA  (Read 4264 times)

bex

Re: Thoughts on my surgical plan? BSSO, LeFort 1, and Genio for OSA
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
Also, when we look at the DIRECTIONS of the DISPLACEMENTS in the chart, we see POINTS like the; 'ANS', 'A', 'B' and 'Pog' all moving in the UPWARD (vertical) DIRECTION in addition to being moved in the (horizontal) Anterior direction. So, those two directional displacements TOGETHER are in direction of CCW, upward and out.

Kavan: Thanks so much for your detailed response - very helpful. For whatever reason, this particular breakdown (quoted above) really helped me visualize those changes, and, to your point, it seems like all of those changes will be beneficial from both a functional and aesthetic perspective. I suppose it is the upper jaw movements that are the big question mark for me now, but it's a relief to hear that IF those changes aren't ideal, they can be addressed later.

some1afterall: BSSO opens up the airway, which I definitely need, but many people with OSA also have obstruction issues caused by their tongues. The bone that is moved forward in this procedure is attached to the tongue muscle that causes this obstruction.

ditterbo: Interesting note on the CCW - I'll have to ask my surgeon have more CCW would affect aesthetics (from what I understand, there's a certain point at which more CCW movement does not equal more airway space, but I could be completely wrong).

bex

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
A quick update now that I'm out of the hospital:

Of course, my face is still VERY swollen, with the majority of the swelling is in my upper lower cheek/jawline area. From what I can tell through the swelling, I would expect to have a bit more defined jawline and a more substantial chin - though very natural looking - in a few weeks. My upper lip is slightly less full, and my philtrum looks slightly shorter. I'm very surprised at the changes to my nose. It's very different, but luckily, I think it looks great! The bridge has a slight slope to it, and my nostrils are a smidge wider. I think this looks a bit more balanced than my super narrow pre-op nose. Will have to see how everything plays together once the swelling subsides, but overall, I think I'll be very happy with the changes.

Best and most importantly of all: My OSA already seems to be gone! I woke up this morning and cried because I was so happy. I'm shocked at how amazing I feel despite my body being put through hell for the past 5 days.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 08:42:46 AM »
Congrats!  Looking forward to hearing how things progress.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

bex

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:29 PM »
Thanks so much, Kavan!

Again, I know I have a long way to go, but I'm happy with how things are looking at only 6 days out (also, disclaimer - I have never and will never intentionally make a duck face in a photo; I blame the swelling and my arch bars here).

In addition to the OSA, my Raynaud's seems to be gone as well! Will continue to share updates as things progress. Looking forward to seeing my surgeon at the end of the week and hearing what he thinks about my recovery so far. Already anxious to get those arch bars out...

[attachment deleted by admin]

some1afterall

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 08:55:03 PM »
Congrats on getting through your surgery and into recovery. I think you look great albeit some swelling. Who was your surgeon? Thats great your OSA seems to have resolved overnight!

bex

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »
Thanks so much, some1afterall! Really appreciate it.

There's certainly a TON of swelling still (it's mostly settled around the apple of my cheeks and around my mouth), but I'm pretty happy with the aesthetic results so far - and obviously thrilled with the functional results, especially so soon after surgery.

My surgeon is Dr. A. Patel (Oregon). He's been incredible throughout this whole process and I feel very lucky to have a surgeon who is laser-focused on resolving the functional issues but also takes my aesthetic concerns very seriously.

Since I know the lip/philtrum changes were of interest to you: Dr. P used an alar stitch to prevent too much widening of the nasal base, though as I noted, the base is a bit wider than before. I'm happy this was the result because, in a weird way, I think this makes my philtrum look less huge. Perhaps because the wider nose base sort of defines a philtrum "area", whereas before, my nose was so narrow/straight, that my philtrum kind of blended into my cheeks? IDK if that makes sense.

He also closed a stitch underneath my upper lip to keep it from "rolling" forward too much, resulting in thinner lips. I'm still slightly nervous about this part because my lips seem to change on a daily basis - I'll wake up and they'll be huge, and by the end of the day, they disappear. I do think this is mostly due to swelling, and because I have IMF screws in my gums (turns out he used these instead of arch bars) which seem as though they're stretching the skin and making my lips appear thinner.

Hoping all of this resolves once the swelling is gone and the screws are gone - will definitely keep you posted!

bex

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 10:43:29 PM »
Quick update now that I'm just about a month out!

Swelling has gone down a lot, but still holding on to some on my chin and above my lip (though I think that's mostly the IMF screws sticking out). So long as I can hold my bite in place w/ no effort, the IMF screws will come out week after next.

Very happy with the result thus far from both a functional and aesthetic standpoint. I can't describe what it feels like to actually sleep for the first time in my life. It's unreal.

Aesthetically - I'm pretty psyched about my new cheekbones, wasn't planning on those! I think there's still too much swelling in my chin to know the final result but even so, everything looks more balanced.

Lips seem to be getting back to their normal size, which is a relief. Lower lip is still a bit numb. In this picture, I can almost smile with both sides of my mouth but it definitely feels awkward and a little uncomfortable:

[attachment deleted by admin]

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
Wow. Great results. Things should get even better even more with time.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

bex

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »
Thank you, Kavan! Still seeing/feeling small changes every day at this point, but I'm confident that both aesthetics and functionality will continue to improve. Excited to get the IMF screws removed - I think that'll make a huge impact.