Author Topic: Is jaw surgery worth it with all the complications, and the chance of relapse?  (Read 1308 times)

Nicolazzz

Hi guys, I'm getting both my jaws moved forward with a genioplasty. I read this article (https://us.dental-tribune.com/clinical/orthognathic-surgery-the-definitive-answer/) which states some pretty scary statistics from Jaw Surgery patients. It seems like there is a very big chance that you'll get some sort of complication as a result of the surgery. What is your thoughts on that?

I was also wondering I you guys know if the chance for relapse depends on the type of surgery your getting?

I really wan't this surgery, but it is a scary thought that so much could go wrong, and one of the scariest thoughts is relapsing after all the suffering that you go through.

PloskoPlus

The worse you starting point, the more it's worth it.  But this goes for everything.  And yes it's a crapshoot even with the best surgeon.  It is therefore imperative that you use the best surgeon possible.  Revisions are even worse.  And if your bite fits, but your aesthetic result is poor, you may have trouble getting a surgeon (any surgeon) to revise you.

kavan

• Global Moderator
The article is an ORTHO advocacy article. Orthos are the dental pros where a lot of it's members have been aimed at only getting the 'bite right' where that aim alone has resulted in people getting extractions that push the face backwards in cases where people were better off getting ortho to PREPARE for maxfax surgery and NOT to prevent it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ditterbo

Like Kavan said, this is par for the course. If you want to hear the potential negatives of one procedure, find a doctor that prefers an alternative and find out why he/she doesn't like performing that other one.

It's like my PRP doc who thinks hair transplants essentially suck, as he explains on his website, and that his PRP treatment is often times superior. Then you go along with him and what do you get? Even less hair than you came in with! That doesn't mean that'll always happen, but you have to be careful in figuring out what the motives are of the people writing these research articles or whatever. If they're dentists, expect them to advocate procedures that make them money, downplaying the risks, trade offs etc..

I already knew this going into my PRP doc, but I was a little too desperate to avoid a hair transplant, and was also extra stupid for jumping right into the procedure as the same day as the consult, albeit with the expectations he set for my particular situation...