Author Topic: Canadian Surgeons + cost of Sliding Genio  (Read 1612 times)

ODog

Canadian Surgeons + cost of Sliding Genio
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »
Hi,

I consulted with two surgeons in Toronto Canada, and the cost of surgery differed quite a bit between the two. My out of pocket cost for one was $5000 not including a sliding genio, the other (Dr. Tocchio) was $4400 INCLUDING a genio to shorten, widen, and project chin.

I’m wondering if anyone has advice on whether it’s worth it to go with the more expensive surgeon. Dr. Tocchio was considered the best for a long time but he is nearing retirement now, but his cost is so low ! Does anyone know how much a genio generally costs... I thought it was at least $5000 CAD, so I’m wondering how on earth one of the most competent Canadian oral surgeons is charging me half the price of some new guy who, granted, uses newer techniques, technology, etc.

But I’m not sure if newer techniques or technology guarantees a better result....

I think I may also consult with Stephen Ho as well. Three surgeons should be enough to make a decision on who to go with..

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Canadian Surgeons + cost of Sliding Genio
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »
Hi,

I consulted with two surgeons in Toronto Canada, and the cost of surgery differed quite a bit between the two. My out of pocket cost for one was $5000 not including a sliding genio, the other (Dr. Tocchio) was $4400 INCLUDING a genio to shorten, widen, and project chin.

I’m wondering if anyone has advice on whether it’s worth it to go with the more expensive surgeon. Dr. Tocchio was considered the best for a long time but he is nearing retirement now, but his cost is so low ! Does anyone know how much a genio generally costs... I thought it was at least $5000 CAD, so I’m wondering how on earth one of the most competent Canadian oral surgeons is charging me half the price of some new guy who, granted, uses newer techniques, technology, etc.

But I’m not sure if newer techniques or technology guarantees a better result....

I think I may also consult with Stephen Ho as well. Three surgeons should be enough to make a decision on who to go with..

Maybe Tocchio is a nice guy and wants to make things affordable for those in need such that people with LESS ca$h can afford. Look at some of those bastard 'TV doctors' in Beverly Hills who charge up the wazoo because they invest in making a (for a lot of them FALSE) image for themselves for the other side of the spectrum.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ODog

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
I agree with you Kavan. I did get the impression he does care about being affordable for patients. He  scoffed at the price of my braces which were $6800. My orthodontist suggested not to go with him because he doesn’t have experience using Invisalign before and after surgery and is more “old school” - in his words. Perhaps he has a point, But I’m not convinced old school necessarily is a bad thing. I mean as long as he can perform the movements.

Also the other surgeon never suggested widening or projecting the chin, just simply vertical reduction genie. Because of these things in combination I left my appt. with Tocchio certain I’d go with him until I met with my orthodontist and he advised me not to as Tocchio used to be he best but not anymore. It’s hard to tell how much is manipulation and how much is actually good advice when you know nothing about sawing skull bones.

Decisions decisions.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »
I agree with you Kavan. I did get the impression he does care about being affordable for patients. He  scoffed at the price of my braces which were $6800. My orthodontist suggested not to go with him because he doesn’t have experience using Invisalign before and after surgery and is more “old school” - in his words. Perhaps he has a point, But I’m not convinced old school necessarily is a bad thing. I mean as long as he can perform the movements.

Also the other surgeon never suggested widening or projecting the chin, just simply vertical reduction genie. Because of these things in combination I left my appt. with Tocchio certain I’d go with him until I met with my orthodontist and he advised me not to as Tocchio used to be he best but not anymore. It’s hard to tell how much is manipulation and how much is actually good advice when you know nothing about sawing skull bones.

Decisions decisions.

So what if he doesn't have experience using Invisalign. He has experience with metal braces which have been the gold standard for quite some time. If he can do a VARIETY of types of genios, that's also a good thing. As you know, orthos and maxfax docs have to work TOGETHER. So, maybe there is some reason T does not work with your ortho anymore. What if your ortho wants to use ONLY invisalign and does not want to bother with extra work of the type of braces T likes. Just speculation  on my part. Would not hurt to ask T WHICH ortho he LIKES to work with BEST.

ODog

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »
He told me he doesn’t have to work with Orthos and besides I’ve already been wearing the Invisalign for 7 months

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:02:59 PM »
He told me he doesn’t have to work with Orthos and besides I’ve already been wearing the Invisalign for 7 months

So, he doesn't bring in any income opportunities for them which could be a hidden factor in your ortho unsuggesting him.

ODog

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »
There’s definitely that sort of relationship.