Author Topic: Do I look like I need jaw surgery? Got rejected from NHS. Attatched pics. HELP!!  (Read 1222 times)

Plop

Hey I saw an orthodontist and surgeon at the NHS and they first suggested surgery and then decided against it.
They suggested:
4mm impaction and CCW rotation
4mm advancement of upper jaw and slight setback of lower jaw.
4mm genioplasty
I had braces when I was 14 and they removed 4 teeth and tipped my top teeth forward and bottom teeth back and this has made my bite good and camoflauged problems. I am now 24 and i have slight crowding. I have no fucntional issues and they said i didn't look that bad so decided against surgery.
I have a long face, show a lot of tooth, teeth crowding, short lip, flat cheeks and my chin is quite large and stick out.
They suggested I can get braces to sort out mild crowding and genioplasty but said this would have to be done privately.
I'm going to have a consultation to see if I can get orthogonathic surgery privately.
I have attatched pics when my mouth is shut and I show a lot of tooth.
By looking at my pics do you think jaw surgery will help me? Do you think the reason I got rejected was because my measuremnts were 4mm and to qualify for surgery on the NHS you need to have measurements of 5mm? Anybody else have surgery for 4mm movements? Anyone else got rejected from NHS and has had surgery privately? Any suggestions of what I should do?

kavan

• Global Moderator
you are definitely a candidate for maxfax surgery to address your jaw imbalance, keep pushing for it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Plop

Thank you, they made me feel stupid for saying I felt insecure about my face. I will push for it and will keep you posted.

JawHelpNeeded

Hey thanks for the advice on my post. Today I was reffred to the orthodontist and the dentist and said that I should be able to get the surgery as my jaws do look set back. I think your jaws look to have grown down more than they have back, where as mine look like they have grown the opposite way (more back than down), but both cause asthetic and I assume in the future both types would cause functional issues. For your case I would say your jaws should be covered by the NHS. Maybe it was because of them only needing to move 4mm like you say. But clearly it's not just a tooth issue and your jaw has a role to play. Perhaps now in the present you may not have any functional issues like teeth wear and pain or tmj, but with your jaws look like they could in the future. I would get a second opinion. But I'm only just starting this nhs process so I'm not sure how this will go for me either. All I know is I will never be able to afford like 30,000 pound in jaw surgery.

Plop

Hope that you do get the surgery on the NHS. They referred me for a second opinion but said they doubt another surgeon will go ahead with the surgery route as they don't think it's that severe. I have a private consultation next week ,I hope the prices isn't that high as I won't be able to afford surgery.