Author Topic: Facial asymmetry - what do you think?  (Read 4609 times)

Plasticman

Re: Facial asymmetry - what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 02:10:55 AM »
@kavan: You're analysis is right concerning the side of the face. The wider is the more attractive. (Then I wonder what would be the effect of the bimax on each side width... It may accentuate the difference and makes the wider even wider...)
I saw a surgeon for my nose. Like the max fac, he is known to be the best one here. He told me we would do nothing. To much complicated, unpredictable results with deviated nose like this, he won't take the risk. So rhinoplasty is not an option. It's not perfect but im ok with it.

@strongjawman: I thought I did yesterday sorry. Did you receive it?

@april: Thanks for your answer! I havent done the bone scan. My surgeon told me it wasn't necessary in my case. (I have always been like this).
My eyes are symmetric. Same heights, same size. Eyelids have slightly different shapes when I'm tired but it's like everyone. Yes it is possible that the correction of the jaw would make the nose deviation more noticeable. It's a risk, one more among so many.
What a mind f ;) !!

ps: Here's a pic of a french TV journalist. He is a good-looking guy. I saw him many times on screen without having paid attention to his upper lip. Pictures emphasizes this kind of default...

strongjawman

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 04:07:57 AM »
So if it's hemifacial microsomia it won't show any uptake? I've had this scan done (but to investigate condylar resorption), my left side had marginally higher uptake/activity compared to the right but they also said it was insignificant. I have asymmetry a bit like Plasticman - which no surgeon or ortho can seem to see :o Very different on 3/4 cheekbone/cheek view (like completely diff people), ears are at different heights (possible head tilt), deviated nose, and also strangely one eye is smaller than the other.

This is the part I'm not entirely sure about. My right condyl had slightly higher uptake which the surgeon said explained the difference in size between the mandible/ramus, but he said the problem was stable and that the difference was insignificant. He never simply diagnosed it as overgrowth on one side and didn't mention hemifacial microsomia at all.

But I read the OMENS classification and my soft tissue including cheek/left orbit, left ear (very subtle but noticeable difference in size) and amount of fat on left side of my face is less than the right.

I looked at photos since I was a child and I suspect it is a very mild level of hemifacial microsomia. The difference is that with this I will likely need some soft tissue improvement in addition to correcting the jaws.

It looks like OP will get away with only his jaws and maybe his nose.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 06:04:47 AM »
Despite your asymmetry and nose (mostly just the smaller nostril), you are actually good looking. So, that's a feat in itself. I think it's because you have excellent features otherwise (hair, skin, lips). These matter. Now, whether jaw surgery is worth it? Eh. In general fixing that kind of asymmetry is not going to work out. It might, but I'd put the odds on it not working out correctly, and then you'd be left with some other face, al the potential risks, and probably a worsening of your nose.

I personally don't find any of your issues offensive. Do they stray from standards? Yes. Is it offensive to look at? No.

I'm about as far from gay as a man can be, and I think you look (a little wonky) but attractive objectively.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

april

• Private
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »

ps: Here's a pic of a french TV journalist. He is a good-looking guy. I saw him many times on screen without having paid attention to his upper lip. Pictures emphasizes this kind of default...

Yes, pictures certainly seem to bring out more asymmetry. I'm always surprised by how wonky I look in photos and on Skype etc.

In your second set of photos, your jaw asymmetry doesn't actually look as obvious compared to the first photo you posted.

Like GJ said - and similar to the TV guy you posted - if you have a bunch of good features, they'll dominate any mild deficient ones (read Arnett's 'The Essence of Beauty'). You're definitely very good-looking and I'm sad to hear it's always on your mind.

But I know how hard it is to mentally prepare yourself for jaw surgery for over a year and then to have doubts, questions, and complete uncertainty thrown into the mix too. Yes, really, this whole jaw surgery thing is the biggest mind f**k of all time. There just seems to be many trade-offs and you don't know what you're going to get. You need to be mentally prepared to accept all the risks and any aesthetic trade-off. I hope it works out for you.

Plasticman

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »
Thanks to all of you for having taken the time to reply and for your advice.
It's hard to talk about this subject, and I am glad I could discuss it openly with you.

I don't know yet what I'll do. I have 4-5 days to decide before I meet the ortho to put the chirurgical brackets.
Anywhow I feel I am not really ready for the bimax as it's still very unclear in my head.
I'll keep you in touch...

I understand that some of you are in the same situation, waiting for an operation or wondering if they need one.
I sympathize with you, it's a tough choice and a long journey.

@april: I'll read Arnetts, it looks interesting. Thanks for your words!
@GJ: Thanks for talking frankly. It's highly valuable to me right now!

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
Despite your asymmetry and nose (mostly just the smaller nostril), you are actually good looking. So, that's a feat in itself. I think it's because you have excellent features otherwise (hair, skin, lips). These matter. Now, whether jaw surgery is worth it? Eh. In general fixing that kind of asymmetry is not going to work out. It might, but I'd put the odds on it not working out correctly, and then you'd be left with some other face, al the potential risks, and probably a worsening of your nose.

I personally don't find any of your issues offensive. Do they stray from standards? Yes. Is it offensive to look at? No.

I'm about as far from gay as a man can be, and I think you look (a little wonky) but attractive objectively.

Why is that? Rather, why is fixing this kind of asymmetry so far on the failing end? I have similar asymmetry to one side of my face (shorter, less volume etc). Makes on side of my face appear mutant, or boyish. I also have a bit of a can’t. Was hoping to fix mine with 3 piece le fort downgraft.
I’m not trying to ask a loaded question, but, as simply as possible (like I’m a child) 🙏🏻, why is asymmetry so difficult to get right? What are swaying the odds so much... Thanks

Fowler

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »
I personally dont see why your asymmetry can't easily be sorted. My surgeon (Mr Piet Haers) was due to sort mine and gave me assurances it would look fine and also showed me before and afters of previous patients. They all looked great. One less so but they didn't really have a great deal of asymmetry to start with.

My asymmetry is similar to yours and some of the before and afters I was shown were very similar to our issues. Some of them had worse asymmetry and came out great. Unfortunately for me, I had to have part of my condoyle removed due to a bony spur a few years back and so bimax can no longer be done due to there not being enough support.
I presume you are all good in that respect so don't see why a competent surgeon couldn't obtain great results.

Bowie

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 01:43:54 PM »
You are good looking but also the asymmetry is very apparent. IMO it would be risky trying to correct that with jaw surgery, custom implants would be more precise and could also add width to the more narrow cheekbone.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »
Why is that? Rather, why is fixing this kind of asymmetry so far on the failing end?

Because they have to lengthen one side or shorten the other, for starters. Which do you do? The wrong choice that could undermine any correction. If the surgical splints are off at all the bones will follow those. They have to make very precise cuts, which isn't easy. Then there's the issue that as you move the bones forward any apparent asymmetry becomes more noticeable. So getting that all correct...well, the odds are against it. Many people come out of surgery with MORE asymmetry, and these are some of the reasons why.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Perlkrys

• Private
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 11:02:37 PM »
Thanks to all of you for having taken the time to reply and for your advice.
It's hard to talk about this subject, and I am glad I could discuss it openly with you.

I don't know yet what I'll do. I have 4-5 days to decide before I meet the ortho to put the chirurgical brackets.
Anywhow I feel I am not really ready for the bimax as it's still very unclear in my head.
I'll keep you in touch...

I understand that some of you are in the same situation, waiting for an operation or wondering if they need one.
I sympathize with you, it's a tough choice and a long journey.

@april: I'll read Arnetts, it looks interesting. Thanks for your words!
@GJ: Thanks for talking frankly. It's highly valuable to me right now!

Hi Plasticman,

I would advise to go forward only if you're very very confidant in your surgeon.. make sure he's spending enough time with you and explaining exact movements IN DETAIL (to the tenths of mm). If possible, get the surgical plan beforehand and ruminate over it as long as you can. Something could be very obvious to you that perhaps your surgeon has overlooked. Yes, they're the professional, but you know your face better than anyone else.

K

ncharm

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 12:38:48 AM »
I must be taking crazy pills I don't think the overall asymmetry is that apparent, nor is it that important for attractiveness. I would do at most do something on the chin to make it horizontal and then rhinoplasty. That seems like a much less risky and more precise way to correct it than doing it this "indirect" way.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
Don’t do it. You look good mate, I really doubt you’ll look better if you have this surgery