Author Topic: Should I get Surgery-First?  (Read 932 times)

Sai77

Should I get Surgery-First?
« on: July 25, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
I have asymmetry, the right and left side of my jawline are not the same length or same shape. I don't have an under-bite or overbite but my bite is not perfect. Some of my teeth are crooked and my front two teeth are slightly forward, I can close my mouth but I have some discomfort when I close mouth fully. I consulted with Raffaini and he said he can do surgery-first for me but he recommends me to get braces first for a few months as he said that will ensure my teeth are in the best position and I get a better bite.

I am now interested in getting surgery in Korea, the surgeon there also said he can do surgery-first for me. I also went to see an orthodontist (in the UK, where I live) and he said, he will not offer me braces if I want surgery and was totally against the idea of me getting double jaw surgery. Jaw surgery is not that common in UK unless you have a severe problem and he said my asymmetry is  only slight. I paid him for a consultation but basically wasted my money. I'm not sure what to do now, should I go and see another orthodontist in the UK? or should I have surgery first?

I like the idea of surgery first as it saves time but I am worried, will it affect aesthetics and function? Has anyone used this technique? Did you get a good result?

PloskoPlus

Re: Should I get Surgery-First?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
No

andyb

Re: Should I get Surgery-First?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 02:46:28 AM »
I have asymmetry, the right and left side of my jawline are not the same length or same shape. I don't have an under-bite or overbite but my bite is not perfect. Some of my teeth are crooked and my front two teeth are slightly forward, I can close my mouth but I have some discomfort when I close mouth fully. I consulted with Raffaini and he said he can do surgery-first for me but he recommends me to get braces first for a few months as he said that will ensure my teeth are in the best position and I get a better bite.

I am now interested in getting surgery in Korea, the surgeon there also said he can do surgery-first for me. I also went to see an orthodontist (in the UK, where I live) and he said, he will not offer me braces if I want surgery and was totally against the idea of me getting double jaw surgery. Jaw surgery is not that common in UK unless you have a severe problem and he said my asymmetry is  only slight. I paid him for a consultation but basically wasted my money. I'm not sure what to do now, should I go and see another orthodontist in the UK? or should I have surgery first?

I like the idea of surgery first as it saves time but I am worried, will it affect aesthetics and function? Has anyone used this technique? Did you get a good result?

Recommended that you have braces fitted first as if you have jaw surgury they need then to fix the bands to for recovery process, and especially if you have double surgery.

sometimes they will put a split in as well.

I have a split and its in for 2 months so i get it out in September. plus have to wear rubber bands for the same time (2 months)
hope this helps.