Author Topic: What constitutes a recessed maxilla according to an "aesthetic ideal"?  (Read 1645 times)

strongjawman

I drew horizontal lines down from my nasion to see the extent of convexity in my profile.

In the picture the line is perfectly in line with my upper lip. Does this indicate that my upper jaw (or at least upper lip) is in the "correct" position?

Is minimal advancement of the maxilla with heavy CCW of the maxilla + mandible a possibility to bring the lower jaw forward in line with the drawing?

I fear that if this is the case my lower jaw will look completely different. For example it would look much more like a 'U' shape than a straight line.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: What constitutes a recessed maxilla according to an "aesthetic ideal"?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »
It indicates you drew a VERTICAL line and called it 'horizontal'

It indicates a possibility that the diagram is angled/incorrect head position.

It indicates you have not used a CEPH where reference POINTS on it would needed to be looked at to address your maxilla questions.

It indicates this may not be something a doctor you consulted with about surgery provided.

Your questions can't be addressed.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

strongjawman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:03:17 AM »
It indicates you drew a VERTICAL line and called it 'horizontal'

Woops lol

It indicates a possibility that the diagram is angled/incorrect head position.

It indicates you have not used a CEPH where reference POINTS on it would needed to be looked at to address your maxilla questions.

It indicates this may not be something a doctor you consulted with about surgery provided.

Your questions can't be addressed.

It was a soft tissue scan done by my first surgeon during our second consultation.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »
Woops lol

It was a soft tissue scan done by my first surgeon during our second consultation.

Suffice to say, it's not something used to look at the bone structure via POINTs that would be on a ceph to do so. Nor does it have any reference to how the head is aligned compared to an absolute vertical often found on cephs.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »
I never understood the point of cephs when it comes to identifying the aesthetic ideal for that individual patient. Someone with an experienced aesthetic eye can tell if someone could benefit from bimax, regardless of what the ceph says. If anything cephs are misleading if you're doing jaw surgery principally for aesthetics, of course function is a different story.