Author Topic: Jaw surgery? Sliding genioplasty? Orthodontics?  (Read 3914 times)

haven

• Private
Re: Jaw surgery? Sliding genioplasty? Orthodontics?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 04:47:13 PM »
I can't imagine why he'd say you're at risk of sleep apnea. From my experience, a standard ceph can somewhat misrepresent a person's airway. My old ceph from when I was 22 showed my airway being smaller than my most recent ceph & my head was in the same position. A CT scan is much more accurate over a standard ceph for measuring airway size IMO. I had a scan recently and one of the first points the surgeon brought up was that my airway was larger than the patients he treats for sleep apnea.

strongjawman

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 04:38:23 AM »
"Anterior mandibular hypoplasia with maxillary hypoplasia" huh?? Can someone elaborate on this because to me this definition seems like nonsense.

For someone who did little to no real examination on you, he sure seems confident that you will develop a whole host of other problems. Your jaw also doesn't look small to me like he alluded to.

Seems like fear-mongering, I would proceed with caution with this guy. Get other opinions, perhaps from surgeons in Europe. If you have any scans/data you can send them you could do a skype consultation first; at least to hear a second/third opinion.

I don't like his prediction that you will get scoliosis; musculoskeletal imbalances are not easy to predict and I'm not sure how mild mandibular asymmetry would even cause this; what is the mechanism along the kinetic chain?

If you don't have sleep apnea now, it seems unlikely you will suddenly develop it later; your bones are fully developed and your airway isn't small by the sounds of things? I'm not a surgeon, but I hate wishy washy answers and fear mongering.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »
"Anterior mandibular hypoplasia with maxillary hypoplasia" huh?? Can someone elaborate on this because to me this definition seems like nonsense.

For someone who did little to no real examination on you, he sure seems confident that you will develop a whole host of other problems. Your jaw also doesn't look small to me like he alluded to.

Seems like fear-mongering, I would proceed with caution with this guy. Get other opinions, perhaps from surgeons in Europe. If you have any scans/data you can send them you could do a skype consultation first; at least to hear a second/third opinion.

I don't like his prediction that you will get scoliosis; musculoskeletal imbalances are not easy to predict and I'm not sure how mild mandibular asymmetry would even cause this; what is the mechanism along the kinetic chain?

If you don't have sleep apnea now, it seems unlikely you will suddenly develop it later; your bones are fully developed and your airway isn't small by the sounds of things? I'm not a surgeon, but I hate wishy washy answers and fear mongering.

BINGO. Upvote.

It's SUBTERFUGE language given with the expectation that the recipient of it, the patient, attach MORE medical importance to it than is needed to attach to it and so given in an attempt to legitimize an assessment done in the absence of what would be needed to make such an assessment. For example, in absence of profile X-ray (ceph) to look at her airway, he used it in the contex or convey DIRE health consequences coming to her in the future IF she did not get the surgery with HIM. Literally, mandibular hypolasia means small lower jaw and the prefix (anterior) before the term could mean small front of mandible which is the chin. Maxillary hypoplasia means small maxilla or recessed maxilla. But I've never heard term 'secondary' used before as a prefix simply because it's the mandibular growth that is secondary to maxillary growth.

In layman's terms, it's BULLs**t given the CONTEXT in which he rendered the assessment which was to SCARE her so she would get DOUBLE JAW surgery AND genio.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

tara121

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 08:39:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. You helped confirm what I was already thinking. I didn't get a good 'vibe' from the surgeon and felt he was very quick to make surgical recommendations without doing a very thorough assessment or imaging. I also had a strong feeling that his health 'warnings' were probably scare tactics as I have never before been given any indication that my jaw asymmetry is of any concern from a health perspective. I also couldn't find much about him online other than his youtube channel which seems a bit suss in itself...

But I didn't want to write him off completely without getting some other opinions that corroborate my suspicions. So thankyou everyone. :)

I have any appointment for a consultation with another surgeon in September who I have heard good things about, so hopefully that is a more positive experience.

tara121

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 04:21:06 AM »
Only because a sliding genioplasty is what has been recommended to me by a surgeon in the past. My understanding is that a chin wing osteotomy moves the chin forward, which isn’t something I have any particular desire to do. I may be wrong in my assumption though? What would be the pros for the chin wing vs genio (from your perspective)?

RedFountain

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 05:34:10 AM »

or just watch this lecture by Triaca

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XlsOlSmYDk&feature=autoshare

Thanks for this link, I hadn't seen it. Great lecture, first time I see an original source for all the different posibilitiesa chin wing provides (movements, segmentations, etc).

The string of results starting at 18:35 are very impressive.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 06:54:48 AM »

Though I don't want to sound like im shilling for them,

That's exactly what you sound like.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 08:06:02 AM »
Thanks for this link, I hadn't seen it. Great lecture, first time I see an original source for all the different posibilitiesa chin wing provides (movements, segmentations, etc).

The string of results starting at 18:35 are very impressive.

Let me get this straight. This is the first time you saw this YET, you are morphing people with the suggestion for them to get chin wings.