Author Topic: Having to go with an In-Network Surgeon  (Read 1618 times)

Austinou88

Having to go with an In-Network Surgeon
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:09:19 AM »
If insurance requires you to see an in-network surgeon, what are some things that you could check/ask/look at/ to make sure their qualified?

One thing in particular I noticed with some that were In-Network with lots of very good reviews, was that the reviews most all had to do with wisdom teeth removal.
Jaw surgery is a whole different story right?

ArtVandelay

• Private
Re: Having to go with an In-Network Surgeon
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
You're right that many surgeons focus more on the oral part of their OMFS training. Pulling wisdom teeth has nothing in common with jaw surgery. Ask how many jaw surgeries the doctor does per year, ideally it'll be 50+. Get multiple opinions too.

Austinou88

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »
You're right that many surgeons focus more on the oral part of their OMFS training. Pulling wisdom teeth has nothing in common with jaw surgery. Ask how many jaw surgeries the doctor does per year, ideally it'll be 50+. Get multiple opinions too.
Yeah its pretty disappointing when you see 300 reviews on a surgeon with an overall rating of 4.5+, only to find out there all on wisdom teeth surgery!

I had a surgeon I was planning to go with, he's pretty close to arnett & gunson level and charges a lot less!

But since the military is so dang strict on there requirements, I think i'll just get a consult from Arnett & Gunson. As well as get a consult from the other guy over in LA.

Then compare there reccomendations to the In-Network Surgeons.
I'm just concerned/worried that the in-network surgeons might focus only on bite and not the aesthetic part.

What do you think of this guy? https://www.osteoscience.org/who-we-are/our-people/alan-s-herford/

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:46:46 AM »
Yeah its pretty disappointing when you see 300 reviews on a surgeon with an overall rating of 4.5+, only to find out there all on wisdom teeth surgery!

I had a surgeon I was planning to go with, he's pretty close to arnett & gunson level and charges a lot less!

But since the military is so dang strict on there requirements, I think i'll just get a consult from Arnett & Gunson. As well as get a consult from the other guy over in LA.

Then compare there reccomendations to the In-Network Surgeons.
I'm just concerned/worried that the in-network surgeons might focus only on bite and not the aesthetic part.

What do you think of this guy? https://www.osteoscience.org/who-we-are/our-people/alan-s-herford/

lol?

Austinou88

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
Well I was speaking in terms of experience.

Austinou88

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
Is there a difference between a surgeon with 20 years experience vs a surgeon with 8 years experience? As in relating to the techniques they use?

Are there newer things that have been adapted by oral & maxillofacial surgeons that some who have been doing it forever don't do that are important?